Brussels Sprouts Salad is a quick and easy side dish made with shredded brussels sprouts, crispy apples, cranberries, pomegranate arils, feta cheese, and pecans. It is then topped with delicious honey-based dressing.
This is one of my favorite side dishes to enjoy during the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday season. I like to pair this side dish with Honey Balsamic Chicken, Cheesy Taco Sloppy Joes, and Taco Tortilla Roll-Ups.
Easy Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
When it comes to the perfectly delicious Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish, we always include this Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad on our menu. It is the ideal dish that is flavorful, easy to make, and just a holiday favorite. Also, it is one of those recipes that pair well with pretty much anything, be it meat, fish or other veggies.
What we love most about this dish is how crispy and tangy the flavors are. The honey and olive oil dressing compliment it perfectly giving a refreshing taste to it. Not to mention, this is a super healthy dish that both kids and adults will love. It is loaded with vitamins and nutrients, so you don’t need to feel guilty about eating one extra plate!
In addition, this salad is very versatile and can be made with various other ingredients. It can also be made in advance and stored in the fridge to be served in the days to come.
Brussels Sprouts Salad Ingredients
To make this recipe, you will need the following:
- Brussels Sprouts (shredded)
- Dried cranberries
- Pomegranate arils
- Green onion
- Feta cheese
- Lemon juice
- Poppy Seeds
- Honey and olive oil for the dressing
- Salt and pepper
How to make Brussels Sprouts Salad?
Once you have all the ingredients available the rest is pretty simple. Just prepare the apples, pears and shred the sprouts. Then, combine the ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Then, add the dressing on top. It is that simple!
Also, feel free to watch the short video tutorial attached for quick guidelines.
How to Shred Brussels Sprouts?
Prior to assembling this dish, first you have to shred the sprouts. Although in many cases you can buy already shredded brussels sprouts, I prefer to shred them on my own. This way, I know for sure it is properly cleaned and fresh!
In addition, ones you shred them, feel free to place them in a zipper bag and then refrigerate. This way you can enjoy it in the days to come.
To shred them, follow the steps below:
- Rinse Brussels sprouts and cut off a small piece of the stem end. Then, remove any discolored leaves.
- Next, cut them thinly using a sharp knife. Similarly, you can use a food processor or a mandoline slicer.
- Lastly, once sliced, wash them under cold water and drain well.
Can you Eat Raw Brussels Sprouts?
YES. It is perfectly safe to eat them raw. Not only are they delicious, but they are also quite healthy and nutritious. Because they make part of the same family as cabbage, they have a similar taste and texture with a nice crunch.
Feel free to enjoy them in salads, on a sandwich or burger. They go well pretty much on anything and can be stored for a few days in the fridge.
Can I store the salad?
Absolutely! If you want to make it in advance, simply wrap it up and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- This recipe is very versatile and can be made with other ingredients. For example, you can add other nuts to it, such as pistachio, sunflower, or sesame seeds. Also, other fruits can be used as well such as pear, or even persimmon. For the topping, you can add some crunchy bacon, it is super delicious! Therefore, feel free to experiment and add/substitute your favorite ingredients.
- Also, feta cheese can be substituted with shredded Parmesan.
- As stated above, you can buy already shredded sprouts from the store. However, I recommend doing it yourself for a fresher taste.
- You can shred the brussels sprouts up to 2 days in advance. Keep them in a Ziploc bag or container in the fridge until ready to assemble the salad.
Brussels Sprouts Salad
Brussels Sprouts Salad is a quick and easy side dish made with shredded brussels sprouts, crispy apples, cranberries, pomegranate arils, feta cheese, and pecans.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts shredded
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 pear chopped
- 1 green apple chopped
- 1 red apple chopped
- 8 oz. bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup pecan halves or walnut halves
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Prepare the dressing by combining the ingredients in a small container and shaking it well. Set aside.
Add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
Add dressing and toss to coat.