Ground Beef Stroganoff is so unbelievably creamy thanks to a few secret ingredients. Easy to make, in just 30 minutes you have an amazing dinner!
This recipe is creamy, flavorful, and made in one-pot. If you are looking for other quick and easy dinner ideas, check out my One-Pot Garlic Parmesan Pasta, Chicken Caesar Pasta, and Chicken and Mushroom.
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe
Ground Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorite pasta dinners to make. It gets extra bonus points for being so easy to make, as it only takes about 30 minutes! You only need to dirty two pots, one for the pasta and one for the sauce, bonus points for that too!
This is the ultimate comfort food at its best. It is extra creamy and I am all about a creamy pasta dinner. Also, I used cream cheese, sour cream and cream of mushroom soup to give it that luxurious texture. This is, by all means, a budget-friendly meal, that can be easily made for a large family or if you have company over.
How to Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
You will be surprised how easy this recipe is to make. For exact ingredient measures, and step-by-step instructions, please see the recipe card below. However, the general steps are as follows:
- Start by browning the beef, onions, mushroom, and garlic.
- Then, add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, and season. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, and cream cheese to the pot. Simmer for a few more minutes, while gently stirring.
- Lastly, stir in sour cream and serve over egg noodles.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe Variation:
This dish can be easily modifiable. Some of our favorite ways to tweak it are as follows:
- Various meats: It works really well with ground beef. However, you could also use other meats. For example, ground turkey, or pork is also an option. If using something other than beef, you’ll likely want to add some extra beef bouillon for enhanced flavor.
- Veggies: Mushrooms are the main ingredient here, and you can use pretty much any type. Some of our favorites are white or portobello mushrooms. Also, feel free to combine a few varieties. Other veggies can be added as well, such as peas, carrots, bell pepper.
- Hamburger Ground Beef Stroganoff: Another amazing way to enjoy this recipe is on buns. Instead of serving it on pasta, use some hamburger buns. Top it with some cheese and enjoy! It is truly yummy, and one of our preferred ways to serve it!
How to Store Ground Beef Stroganoff?
If you want to make it in advance or have leftovers, you can simply refrigerate it. Simply let the dish completely cool. Then, transfer it to an airtight container and leftovers for 3-4 days. It actually tastes even better the following days, as the flavors sit and combine together.
To freeze it: I recommend leaving out the noodles and freeze just the stroganoff itself. Just use a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat: If frozen, defrost leftovers in the fridge overnight. Then, heat in the microwave or on the stovetop on low heat until warm.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe Tips:
- Let’s start with the fact that this is NOT a low-calorie meal, please indulge in its glory!
- For the creamiest texture, I like to use a mix of cream cheese, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup. Also, this will give this dish the most amazing texture!
- If you want to make the meal lighter, skip the cream cheese and cream of mushroom soup and just add a little light cream.
- For best flavors, cook the ground beef until slightly browned.
- The sauce is best served over egg noddles.
- In addition, always make sure that your onions are cooked before you add anything else to the skillet.
- You can substitute in ground pork or turkey if you want. Also, you can mix various meat together as well.
- I recommend using fresh mushrooms as they give a nice flavor to it
Tools I used in the making of this Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe:
- Cast Iron Skillet – get one and you will use it forever. I like that it heats evenly and consistently and that it comes pre-seasoned for the first use.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – this one is great for cooking!
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff is so unbelievably creamy thanks to a few secret ingredients. Easy to make, in just 30 minutes you have an amazing dinner!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 oz baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) cream of mushrooms soup, I used Campbell's
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes and at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/44 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cooked egg noodles
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Place a large, 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add butter and melt.
Add mushrooms, onions and garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from skillet to a small bowl, set aside.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook beef for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking it down. Cook it until no longer pink and it should be slightly browned. Drain excess fat.
Stir in 1 cup of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling.
Whisk flour with the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth until fully combined. Stir into beef mixture. Add the cream of mushroom soup and stir to combine.
Add the cream cheese and stir to combine, breaking it down until melted.
Add the mushroom mixture to the skillet, stir and wait for it to start boiling.
Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until fully combined.
Serve with cooked egg noodles.
Garnish with parsley.