These Taco Tortilla Roll Ups are made with shredded chicken, cream cheese, taco seasoning, and cheddar cheese. It is an easy appetizer that can be enjoyed for any gatherings!
I love make-ahead appetizers that are simple and delicious. These are great for game days, Superbowl, birthday parties, or any type of event. For a complete table, pair them with these Bacon Wrapped Smokies, Pizza Pinwheels, and Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joe.
Taco Tortilla Roll Ups (aka Taco Pinwheels)
These Taco Tortilla Roll Ups are delicious and are always an instant hit with my guests. There are many appetizers out there that you can make, but in my opinion, these pinwheels are just simply the best.
Firstly, they are quite easy to prepare, and you can make they can be made in advance. Also, these are a much healthier alternative compared to the aforementioned snacks.
In addition, you can enjoy them not only as appetizers or snacks but as a main dish. These chicken pinwheels are full of flavors and have plenty of proteins. Therefore, they will satisfy your cravings as a full meal.
Also, the flavor is easily adjustable, and you can mix-in other favorite ingredients. The possibilities are limitless, making this the perfect appetizer any day of the week!
What do you need to make Taco Tortilla Pinwheels?
The following ingredients are needed:
- Flour tortillas
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Taco seasoning
- Hot sauce
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Shredded chicken
- Chopped cilantro
How to Make Taco Tortilla Roll Ups?
- First, mix up the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and taco seasoning in a medium bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Then, spread the mixture evenly over tortillas. I use a medium to large size tortilla. Add the shredded chicken on top, and roll them up tightly.
- Once they are all filled and rolled up, place them in the fridge and let them rest for about 2 hours. You can make only one tortilla or as many as you want.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the taco chicken pinwheels into about 1/2 inch thick slices. Enjoy them as a snack, main dish, or party appetizer!
Can I make them in advance?
Absolutely! These tortilla roll ups with cream cheese and taco seasoning are great to make in advance. I usually make them 1 day in advance and store them in the fridge.
However, if you have a larger gathering and are busy with other things, you can even make them two days in advance and properly store in the fridge. For better storing, I would recommend cutting into slices just prior to serving.
Can I use any type of chicken to make Taco Roll Ups?
Any cooked chicken will work for these taco tortilla roll ups. I usually go with leftover breasts and simply shred them, or rotisserie chicken. Both work great. However, you can use other chicken parts as well, drumsticks or thighs work just as well. Just remember to use boneless meat, as well as shred prior to filling the pinwheels.
Also, you could use other meat types altogether. Beef, turkey, or even pork can be substituted with poultry. There are no limits here, so feel free to go with what you love the most.
Can I add veggies to make Mexican Pinwheels?
Yes. In this recipe, I omitted the veggies. However, you can add bell pepper, olives, corn, lettuce, mushrooms, caramelized onions, etc.
How to make homemade Taco Seasoning?
Making taco seasoning at home is best because you can control the ingredients, and adjust the taste based on your liking. Also, you know for sure what you put in it, and not to mention, it is way cheaper than the store-bought version. To make taco seasoning at home you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- teaspoon black pepper
Simply mix the above ingredients in a bowl, and use it!
How to store Taco Tortilla Roll Ups?
If you have leftovers, then simply transfer the pinwheels into an airtight dish. Then, store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Taco Tortilla Roll Ups Recipe Tips:
- Feel free to use any type of chicken in this recipe. Also, you can use ground beef, cubbed beef, ham, shredded turkey, or other meats.
- Also, if you want to add vegetables to it, simply slice them up, and add them to the spread.
- Adjust the spiciness based on your own preference.
Taco Tortilla Roll Ups
These Taco Tortilla Roll Ups are made with shredded chicken, cream cheese, taco seasoning, and cheddar cheese.
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 4 oz sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
In a larger dish combine cream cheese and sour cream. Add taco seasoning and hot sauce and mix.
Stir in cheddar cheese, shredded chicken and cilantro.
Spread ⅙ filling over tortilla using a spatula. Roll tight and cover in plastic wrap
Repeat with the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate for a few hours.
Cut into ½ inch thick wheels before serving, using a good serrated knife.