Cucumber Sandwiches Recipe [Video]
Cucumber Sandwiches are the perfect refreshing and delicious finger food. They are ready in minutes and can be enjoyed as appetizers or with tea. Watch the recipe video tutorial attached below and see how delicious they are!
These finger sandwiches are so festive and delicious, that I make them quite often for a party or game day. I also love to pair them with Bacon Wrapped Smokies, Taco Tortilla Roll Ups, or Cheddar Ranch Cheese Ball.
Easy Cucumber Sandwiches (aka Tea Sandwiches)
Cucumber Sandwiches are also known as Tea Sandwiches, have been around for quite some time now. They are super easy to make and are quite delicious. Kids and adults love them!
Also, they are great to make ahead and refrigerate to enjoy for days to come. The cream cheese and fresh herbs are combined to make the amazing spread that is then topped with sliced cucumbers. You can add make it with various bread, but traditionally it goes with cocktail rye.
No matter which bread you go with, it is important to go with very soft bread. I like to remove the crust from it, but this is optional. No matter how you want to serve them, they are truly classic sandwiches. Give this recipe a try, and let me know how you loved them?!
What is a cucumber sandwich made of?
You will need the following ingredients:
- Cucumbers: Feel free to use any type. However, I love English cucumbers as the seeds are small and delicate. Also, it is important to peel the skin and cut it thinly.
- Bread: Use any type you like. Just remember to go with white bread that is super soft. The crust can be removed or kept, depending on your preference.
- Cream cheese: Ensure the cream cheese is softened so it can be quickly and easily spread over the soft bread.
- Mayonnaise: Any type will work. To save some calories, you can use the reduced-fat version.
- Garlic powder: I like to season it with some garlic powder. It complements the recipe nicely. However, if you are not a garlic fan, simply skip it.
- Dill: Freshly chopped dill is what I use.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
How to make Cucumber Sandwiches?
- Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth.
- Then, spread cream cheese mixture evenly on one side of each bread slice.
- Thinly slice cucumber, and layer over the mixture. Stack the other half of the bread slices and serve immediately!
- Swap the cream cheese with butter.
- Instead of dill, feel free to use other herbs, such as mint leaves, chives, basil, or skip it altogether.
- You can cut them into a square, triangles, or round. Just use a round cookie cutter.
what type of bread is best to use?
As stated above, you can use pretty much any type of white bread. Traditionally, this recipe is made with cocktail rye. But the most important factor here is to use a soft or extra-soft type of bread.
Best Tea to Pair with Cucumber Sandwiches:
These sandwiches are super popular in England and are usually served with Black (Earl Gray) or Green Tea. Both, the green and black tea complement these sandwiches nicely.
But you can also serve them with other teas as well.
How to store Cucumber Sandwiches?
- You can store or make them in advance for up to 24 hours. These are quite delicate and puffy appetizers, so it is best to make them fresh or store for no more than 24 hours.
- Use an airtight container, and refrigerate them for up to 24 hours. Also, use wax paper and a damp paper towel on top of the sandwiches to keep the bread from drying out.
- Ensure to let the cream cheese soften to room temperature. This way, you can quickly and easily spread it over the soft bread.
- Similarly, use any cucumbers, but the best ones are the English type. They are sold pretty much in any grocery store, so they are easily available.
- To cut the cucumber thinly and perfectly, I recommend using a mandoline slicer. It is super useful, and you can adjust the thickness very easily.
- To prevent the bread from getting soggy, make sure the cucumber has been patted dry with a paper towel.
- Adjust the seasoning based on personal taste.
Cucumber Sandwiches are the perfect refreshing and delicious finger food. They are ready in minutes and can be enjoyed as appetizers or with tea.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 long English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 loaf sliced bread crusts removed
Using a hand mixer whisk cream cheese and mayonnaise in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, and zest, add salt and pepper to taste.
Spread cream cheese mixture on bread slices.
Thinly slice cucumbers. Layer over half of the bread slices. Top with additional herbs if desired.
Top with remaining bread slice and with a sharp knife, cut crusts and cut each sandwich into 3 pieces.
Serve immediately or cover and store up to 24 hours in an airtight container in the fridge.
Love these! That fresh dill makes all the difference!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
These Cucumber Sandwiches are sound delicious! Dangerously good…
Love this simple and tasty finger food! Cucumber sandwiches are delicious!
katerina @ diethood.com
I LOVE cucumber sandwiches!! These look SO GOOD!!
So light and refreshing! Exactly what I wanted for lunch today.
The perfect little party sandwiches!
These are classic!Love this recipe!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes
I love this classic!! The perfect party sandwich!
This looks so good! What a perfect light and refreshing lunch for summertime!
Thanks for sharing! How far ahead of time can I make them?
I don’t eat mayonnaise an I omit it?
yes, you can try yogurt instead.
This looks so good! What a refreshing sandwich to make for a picnic in the summer!
Thanks for sharing! Do they keep long?
Yum! These look tasty. Love all things cucumbers. These would be refreshing on the boat.