30 Minute Chili Recipe is a hearty and comfort meal made with ground beef, crushed tomatoes, and ready in only 30 minutes. This is the perfect party meal to have with friends and family.
Easy 30 Minute Chili
With colder days around the corner, this is my favorite dish to enjoy. It is so delicious, rich, and flavorful, that you are guaranteed to come back for more. The next time you’re craving a large pot of hearty soup to help combat the cold weather, this easy 30 Minute Chili is the perfect recipe.
A great chili always starts with good ingredients. In this recipe, I brown the beef is quickly, then combine it with a spice mixture, beans, and tomatoes for a quick and easy meal.
Also, this is a budget-friendly dish and tastes better than at any restaurant. If you’re making this for a party game day gathering, or even Superbowl, feel free to have several toppings options, so you can experience various flavors.
The recipe is easily doubled, and it keeps well in the fridge. Therefore, if you are busy at work, simply make it at the beginning of the week and reheat it later for a quick and easy dinner.
How to make 30 Minute Chili?
- Brown the Beef: First, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Stir often. The meat should be done when no longer pink. Season the meat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Add the beans, and stir in the diced tomatoes. Then, add the remaining ingredients to the pot, and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Then, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it has the right and thick consistency.
- Serve: Enjoy it warm, and garnish with green peppers, chips, and cheese.
This dish is very versatile and can be modified with various other ingredients. Some great suggestions are listed below:
- Vegetarian: If you want to skip the meat, and go vegetarian, then double up the beans instead of using the ground beef. Also, feel free to use vegetarian crumbles in place of the beef.
- Swap the meat: Ground beef can be replaced with ground turkey, ground pork, or Italian sausage. Also, you can combine them together for a more deep, and profound flavor.
- Low Carb: To reduce some carbs, you can omit the beans altogether, and use extra beef instead. Although that will not be a bean chili anymore, you can definitely give it a try! Also, the beans can be replaced with quinoa, lentils, or even sweet potatoes.
- Add various veggies: Similarly, you can add other types of veggies you like. Some great additions would be zucchini, bell peppers, red peppers, carrots, etc.
How do you thicken up chili?
The best way to limit the liquid in it is to use less broth, and more beans, and beef. As a general rule, add in the broth slowly until it reaches your desired consistency. However, if for some reason you ended up with too liquid chili, the best option would be to use cornstarch. Simply mix the cornstarch with cold water and mix well, Then, add it slowly to the pot.
Great topping suggestions:
I love my chili with various toppings. This dish can really be garnished with many ingredients, some of my favorites are:
- Shredded cheese, such as mozzarella, or parmesan.
- Sliced avocado.
- Crushed chips
- Sliced olives
- Chopped tomatoes
- Crushed chili pepper
How to store 30 Minute Chili?
- Refrigerate: To refrigerate it, first let the dish cool. Then, transfer it to an airtight container, and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. This is one of those dishes that gets better with days as the flavors absorb together. Therefore, you will probably enjoy it, even more, the next day.
- Freeze: Use a freezer-proof dish, and freeze it up to 3 months. Reheat prior to serving.
- I love using San Marzano canned tomatoes, as they are sweet and super flavorful. They work great in this recipe. However, if you cannot find them, you can use any diced tomatoes.
- Also, you can use Italian sausage or other meat types here.
- This recipe can easily be doubled. Simply double the ingredients, and follow the same instructions as in the recipe card below.
- If you love garlic, add some extra garlic to the pot.
30 Minute Chili Recipe
30 Minute Chili Recipe is a hearty and comfort meal made with ground beef, crushed tomatoes, and ready in only 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 oz can diced green chiles mild or hot
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 12 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can pinto beans drained
- 15 oz can kidney beans drained
- Avocado sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos
Place a large pot over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once simmering, add beef and cook breaking it with a wooden spoon until it has browned and almost cooked through. Drain grease, leaving only about 1 tablespoon.
Add onion and garlic, cook for another 3 minutes, until the onions have softened.
Add chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cocoa powder, green chiles, tomato paste, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and beans. Stir and bring to a simmer.
Add 1-2 cups of water, depending on how thin you want the chili, simmer partially covered for 15 minutes.
Taste and adjust for salt, pepper, and more chili powder.
Serve hot with preferred toppings.