Cast Iron Chicken and Mushroom is an easy and flavorful meal that is made with just a few ingredients in one pan. It is the perfect dinner dish to enjoy during the busy weekdays!
Quick and delicious dishes are popular on my site. If you are short on time and want a quick restaurant-quality dinner, then you can also check out Tuscan Chicken Pasta, Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, and Lemon Thyme Chicken.
Creamy Skillet Chicken and Mushroom
One Pan Chicken and Mushroom is my go-to dinner meal. First, it is super flavorful and you end up with a tender and delicious meat. Also, this dish requires just a few simple and budget-friendly ingredients and is ready in about 30-minutes.
The combination of this dish is to die for. I love mushrooms and cooked in the skillet with a little butter, and then combined with poultry, you end up with a flavorful and yummy meal. You can also easily adjust the flavors, by adding additional ingredients.
Similarly, feel free to make a large batch, and store it in the fridge for the days to come. The leftovers taste even better the next day!
How to make Creamy Chicken and Mushroom?
- Prepare the chicken: Season the poultry with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Feel free to use any chicken parts in this recipe.
- Brown the meat: In a cast-iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Then, place the chicken thighs in the skillet and brown it on both sides for about 3-4 minutes per side. You want to have a nice golden brown color, but not to overcook it. Once browned, remove from the pan, and set aside on a plate.
- Make the mushroom sauce: Add an additional 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Then, add the sliced mushrooms to it, and cook until golden brown (for about 5 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Feel free to add some bay leaves, and thyme to the pan. This will give the dish a nice boost of flavors. Then, add the heavy cream and chicken stock, and stir for 1-2 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Simmer: Once the sauce has a nice consistency, add the chicken back to the mixture. Let is simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened, and the meat is properly cooked through.
- Serve: Enjoy it warm!
What is the perfect temperature to serve the chicken?
I recommend taking it off the oven once the internal temperature reaches about 160 degrees F, as it will still cook even though out of the oven. As it rests, it will reach the desired temperature. This way you will end up with tender and moist meat and not overcook it.
Can I make it with other meats?
Absolutely! This is a very versatile dish, and you can apply the same technique using different cuts. I love using thighs as they end up moist and super tender. However, feel free to use breasts or drumsticks. Also, you can substitute it with turkey altogether, or even pork chops.
What to serve with Chicken and Mushroom?
I love serving it with green beans on the side, or over pasta, or rice.
How to store it?
- Refrigerate: Prior to refrigerating, wait for the dish to completely cool down. Then, transfer it to an airtight container, and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat prior to serving.
- Freeze: You can also freeze it. Once cooled, transfer it to a freezer-safe dish, and freeze it up to 3 months.
- As state above, I used thighs for this recipe, but feel free to use any other cuts. Also, you can keep or remove the skin, depending on your preference.
- To get the meat a nice crust, I usually wait for the cast iron skillet to heat up for a couple of minutes. Then, add it to the pan. This way, it forms a nice crust on top.
- If you love garlic, feel free to add it accordingly.
- Also, you can garnish this dish with some shredded cheese, such as parmesan cheese. It will make the dish even creamier.
Cast Iron Chicken and Mushroom is an easy and flavorful meal that is made with just a few ingredients in one pan.
- 6 chicken thighs skinless or use chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 16 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Season the poultry with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
In a cast-iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the chicken and brown it on both sides for about 3-4 minutes, look for a golden brown finish.
Once browned, remove from the pan, and set aside on a plate, cover with foil.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and melt. Add the sliced mushrooms and dried thyme and cook until golden brown, for about 5-8 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Then, add the heavy cream and chicken broth, and stir for 1-2 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper.
Add the chicken and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
Serve as is or with pasta.