Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes made with just a few ingredients in one pan in just 30 minutes, are cheesy and perfectly hot. An easy family weekend dinner.
There is nothing more rewarding than making a quick and delicious homemade meal for the whole family to enjoy. And this is recipe is just that! You might also like Cheesy Taco Sloppy Joes, French Dip Grilled Cheese, and Taco Tortilla Roll Ups.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes are the perfect, easy weeknight dinner for all the buffalo wings flavor fans! The meal is very budget-friendly, it would cost you about $10 to make a large pan that would feed an entire family.
Also, the leftovers are great, so bonus points for that! Make a large pan that would last you for dinner and next day lunch. The Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes are packed with cheese and delicious, hot, homemade buffalo sauce.
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s easy, foolproof and you can make the sloppy joes as cheesy and as packed with heat, based on your own preference. Seriously, guys, this recipe is so easy, that even a first-time cook won’t mess it up! Whether you want to enjoy something easy and delicious for dinner, game day, or party, this is the perfect recipe to make!
How to make Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes?
This recipe is super easy to make. For exact directions and measures, follow the recipe card below. However, the general steps are as follows:
- Cook the chicken and veggies: In a skillet, over medium-high heat, stir in the minced garlic, onion, salt, and black pepper. Cook until the onion has softened, for about 5 to 7 minutes. Then, add the ground chicken and seasoning. Cook until evenly browned.
- Make the slurry: In a small cup mix the chicken broth and cornstarch together, add the slurry to the pan. Then, stir together and cook for about 5 more minutes on low heat.
- Add the cheese: Lastly, turn off the heat, and mix in the shredded cheese.
- Serve: Enjoy it warm over some buns.
How do I make Crockpot Chicken Sloppy Joes?
This recipe can easily be made in the Slow Cooker as well. Simply, throw it all in the crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH on 2-3 hours.
Add the cheese at the end of the cooking time, stir to combine, and enjoy it! The slow cooker makes this meal even easier.
How to store Sloppy Joes?
If you have leftover, feel free to store it in the fridge. Simply, transfer the chicken mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2-4 days. When ready to serve, reheat and serve on a bun.
Some Recipe Tips:
- Can I substitute chicken with turkey? Yes, go for it, it will taste fantastic!
- How can I make these spicier? Add 2-3 tablespoons of hot sauce or more cayenne pepper. Also, taste and adjust.
- Can I skip the cornstarch? I would not recommend that the Sloppy Joes will be very runny if you do so.
- I don’t have cheddar cheese, can I use other types of cheese? You can use mozzarella or a Mexican blend type of cheese.
- Can I use flour instead of cornstarch? It will alter the taste of the Sloppy Joes, I recommend sticking to cornstarch.
- Can I skip the onion? Yes, while it adds flavor and texture and its best used in this recipe, if you really don’t like onions, you can skip it.
- Why do you add so much garlic? I LOVE garlic, and the more the merrier for me, it adds such a nice flavor. You can add less or more.
- Can I add more veggies to these? Yes! I love adding 1 diced bell pepper or mushrooms.
Tools to make this recipe:
- Cast Iron Skillet – get one and you will use it forever. I like that it heats evenly and consistently and that it comes pre-seasoned for the first use.
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes made with just a few ingredients in one pan in just 30 minutes, are cheesy and perfectly hot.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 brioche hamburger buns
Add the oil to a large cast iron skillet on medium heat.
Add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften, stirring a few times.
Add the chicken to the pan and break it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula. Distribute evenly and mix in with the onion. Cook for 10 minutes stirring a few times.
Add the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce, stir to combine.
In a small cup mix the chicken broth and cornstarch together, add the slurry to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat or until the mixture is only slightly liquidy.
Turn off the heat, mix in the shredded cheese.
Serve on toasted brioche buns.
Optional: top with diced tomatoes, sour cream and cilantro.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.