Lemon Thyme Chicken is creamy and fragrant, made with white wine, lemon zest, cream, mushrooms, and thyme. An easy and delicious one-pan dinner that is ready in 30 minutes.
Easy Garlic Lemon Thyme Chicken
Lemon Thyme Chicken is the perfect comfort weeknight meal, made in one pan in just about 30 minutes. The chicken breast is seared to perfection, and after that cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce.
Also, the sauce is zesty and refreshing, flavored with fresh thyme and lemon zest. The juicy lemon chicken can be easily made for a crowd and the dish is nice enough to serve when you have guests. The meat is tender and juicy, while the sauce is very creamy and flavorful.
You can easily make it in advance by simply combining the marinade with the poultry, and then refrigerate. This dish is best served with the mushroom sauce over some rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Give it a try, and you will see how easy and yummy this garlic lemon chicken is!
How to make Lemon Thyme Chicken?
This recipe is super quick and easy to make. The basic steps are:
- Sear the chicken: First season the poultry with salt and pepper. Then, add some butter to a skillet, and brown it for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Make the sauce: Once the meat is browned, set aside. Then, make the lemon thyme sauce by mixing the sauce ingredients from the recipe card below. Add the heavy cream, and then add back the poultry to the pan.
- Simmer: Lastly, simmer the chicken in the sauce for about 5 minutes, while stirring from time to time.
- Serve: Garnish fresh herbs, and serve as is, or over some rice or pasta.
Other Proteins: I used chicken breasts in this recipe. However, feel free to use thighs, or other meats altogether. Pork, shrimp, beef, are great alternatives.
Add cheese: For a more profound flavor and even creamier texture, add some cheese. Use freshly grated parmesan, or use other types that you prefer.
Other herbs: Substitute the thyme with other herbs. You could use rosemary, sage, basil, oregano as well. For a more subtle herb flavor, simply go with some parsley.
What to serve the lemon chicken with?
You can enjoy it as is with some crusty bread on the side, and dip into the delicious sauce. Also, feel free to pair it with some rice, steamed broccoli, asparagus, or some salad.
How to store it?
If you have leftover, simply store it in an airtight container. Then refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Reheat it over medium heat, or in the microwave until warm.
Other delicious One-Pan Dinner ideas:
- Chipotle Orange Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Taco Mac and Cheese
- Ground Beef and Cabbage
- Honey Citrus Salmon
- Garlic Parmesan Pasta
Tips and Tricks to make the perfect One-Pan Creamy Lemon Thyme Chicken:
- You should use quality meat, preferably organic, in this case, I used organic chicken breasts.
- Also, feel free to make it with thighs, or other proteins as well. Shrimp, pork, or beef works great as well.
- You can make this recipe with 3-4 chicken breasts, the sauce will be enough. You can add 1/2 cup more heavy cream, for more sauce.
- A cast-iron skillet or any NON-stick skillet, will work great for this recipe.
- Definitely brown the chicken on both sides to golden perfection, it will take a few minutes, but it will make a huge difference in taste. Make sure you don’t overcook it.
- Make sure the meat is cooked, you don’t want to serve raw chicken. Cut it and if its still pink, cook it in the sauce on low for a few more minutes.
- The white wine adds such a nice flavor to this recipe, but if you want to skip the alcohol, you can replace it with chicken broth.
- The sauce is NOT thick, as it is not flour based. I prefer to leave it creamy and serve it over pasta.
- To make the dish even creamier and the sauce thicker, you can add 1 cup of grated parmesan to the sauce. Stir it in right before you are done cooking it.
- Also, you can add red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
- Using fresh lemon zest and thyme is key!
Tools/Ingredients I use to make this recipe:
- Chantal Sauté Skillet – I like this skillet for when I make recipes with lots of sauce, the skillet height is perfect so no drippings while cooking. It’s also a sturdy skillet made of high-quality material that will last you many years.
- Tongs – I like the locking functionality on these, they are the best on the market
CREAMY LEMON THYME CHICKEN
Lemon Thyme Chicken is creamy and fragrant, made with white wine, lemon zest, cream, mushrooms and thyme. Made in one pan in just 30 minutes.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup white wine
- 1 medium onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh thyme
Season the chicken with a little salt and pepper on both sides and set aside.
Clean and slice the mushrooms, set aside.
Add 3 tablespoons of butter to a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter is almost melted, add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown on each side.
Using tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate nearby. Cover with foil.
Reduce heat to medium and add the white wine to the skillet to deglaze it. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, and the sliced mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until mushrooms are just tender.
Add the lemon zest, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper, stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream, taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Add the chicken back to the skillet, into the sauce and simmer on low for 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Stir a few times.
Remove from heat, garnish with fresh lemon and fresh thyme.
Serve on its own, with warm, crusty bread for dipping or over pasta.