Chicken pesto pasta is a quick and easy dinner idea. Creamy homemade pesto sauce, garlic and juicy sauteed chicken breasts are served on a bed of spaghetti. This pesto pasta recipe is a family favorite!
We love pasta recipes as they are so easy to fix and a are perfect for quick and easy weeknights dinner. As the rest of our recipes, this Chicken Pesto Pasta is ready in 30 minutes only! You should also check our Jalapeño Popper Pasta, the rich and indulging Chicken Ranch and Bacon Pasta as well as the super hearty Chicken Stroganoff.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
How much pesto is needed for pasta?
As a general rule, use 3/4 cup of pesto for every 1 pound of spaghetti. As is the case with most recipes, feel free to add more or less to suit your family’s preference. The chicken pesto pasta recipe calls for 2 cups of pesto sauce.
Which pasta is best for pesto?
Do you know that there are approximately 350 different types of pasta around the world? More fascinating is that, due to language and regional differences, there are about four times that many names for them!
The best pasta shapes to use for creamy sauces are those with ridges or grooves that will capture and cling to the sauce. That being said, spaghetti is a standby favorite pasta for nearly every type of sauce, and the one we call for in this Chicken Pesto Pasta recipe.
Follow 30 Minutes Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What do you need to make homemade pesto?
- 4 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
What meat goes with pesto pasta?
The flavors of homemade basil pesto are fresh and bright. Our creamy homemade basil pesto pairs exceptionally well with chicken, pork, seafood (fish and shellfish), and even steak.
How do you make Chicken Pesto Pasta?
One of the best features of the chicken pesto pasta recipe is its simplicity. It’s quick and easy to make; following a few simple steps, this easy dinner recipe comes together in about 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Sear the chicken on both sides until it looks golden brown.
- Add the garlic to pan, stir and cook for one minute, until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with the broth, then add store-bought or homemade basil pesto sauce. Stir to combine.
- Allow the mixture to simmer, add the cooked pasta, and thin with broth or water if it thickens more than you prefer.
- Plate the servings, garnish with fresh parsley, parmesan and enjoy your delicious, creamy pesto chicken pasta dinner!
Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe Tips:
- This recipe can be made healthier by using whole wheat pasta.
- You can also use your favorite pasta in this recipe. Shells, fusilli or fettuccine are great options.
- Similarly, this recipe is great without the meat, just with pesto sauce and parmesan.
- Other options are to make this Pesto Pasta with homemade pesto or store-bought to save time.
We like to serve Chicken Pesto Pasta with a side of garlic bread or dinner rolls and a healthy salad, such as our Greek salad.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
Chicken Pesto Pasta is a quick and easy dinner idea. Creamy homemade pesto sauce, garlic and juicy sauteed chicken breasts are served on a bed of spaghetti. This pesto pasta recipe is a family favorite!
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups pesto sauce homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
In the meantime, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then add it to the sizzling oil. Cook until the chicken is nicely seared, and looks golden brown.
Add the garlic to pan, stir and cook for one minute, until fragrant.
Deglaze the pan with the broth and then add the pesto sauce. Stir to combine.
Allow the mixture to simmer, then add the cooked pasta. You can add water to the mixture if it thickens more than you prefer. Toss to cover the pasta in the pesto sauce.
Plate the servings, garnish with fresh parsley, parmesan and enjoy your delicious, creamy pesto chicken pasta dinner!