This Easy Salsa Recipe is made with fresh tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, and lime. It is healthy, flavorful, and authentic that will beat any store-bought version.
I love healthy Mexican food, and this recipe is one of my favorite of all time. You can use it pretty much on any dish, and serve it with tortilla chips, tacos, or burritos. For more Mexican flavors, try my One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta, Taco Tortilla Roll-Ups, or Cheesy Chicken Fajita Quesadilla.
Easy Tomato Salsa Recipe
This is hands down the Best Homemade Salsa Recipe. The secret to it lies in using the freshest ingredients possible. Starting from Roma tomatoes all the way to cilantro. If you have tried the authentic Mexican salsa, you know how it should taste.
The store-bought version does not have the right flavors because the ingredients are canned, and you cannot experience the real deal. Hence, I am sharing with you this easy and recipe, so you can quickly make it at home whenever you feel like it.
You can also use canned tomatoes, but to be honest, it does not come close to the taste of using fresh tomatoes. It does make a huge difference, so I highly recommend using fresh whenever possible.
This dish has the right ration and blends of everything. It is not too garlicky or oniony. Also, the spiciness can be adjusted based on your own preference. Give it a try, and you will never make salsa any other way!
Fresh Salsa Ingredients:
- Fresh tomatoes – You can use any type, but the best ones are Roma or Cherry tomatoes. They have the best flavor and aromas. Also, avoid anything soft.
- Jalapeno – Use as much as you feel like, depending on your tolerance level.
- Fresh cilantro
- Red onion – If you cannot find red onions, use yellow.
- Green onion
- Garlic – Freshly minced garlic works best. It adds just the right hint of flavor.
- Lime – It brightens up the salsa and adds the right balance of citrusy flavor.
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
How to Make the Best Salsa?
This is one of the easiest and fastest recipes to make at home. Once you have the ingredients ready, you are pretty much done! Just follow the below steps:
- Chop the ingredients: Thinly chop the ingredients using a sharp knife.
- Mix them together: Once chopped, transfer them into a medium-size bowl, and gently toss together. Squeeze some lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve: Enjoy it right away with some tortilla chips.
Homemade Salsa Recipe Variation:
- Make avocado salsa: Simply add half avocado to the mix.
- Fruit salsa: Add some chopped mango or a combination of chopped mango and avocado.
- Add smoke: For a smoky flavor, add 1 tablespoon of chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce.
- Use dry herbs: You can easily add some dried oregano, dried basil, or ground cumin.
How spicy is homemade salsa?
You can easily adjust the spiciness by adding more or fewer jalapeno peppers. Also, if you remove the seeds, the heat level will decrease. Here is a quick guideline on how to adjust the heat level:
- Mild salsa: remove all seeds and membrane and only use 1/2 pepper.
- Medium spiciness: remove most of the seeds and use 1 jalapeno peppers.
- For hot salsa: leave seeds and membrane intact and use one, or even one and a half jalapeno peppers.
Best tomatoes to use for salsa?
Fresh tomatoes are always the best to use. Look for the freshest ones, with the deep smell, and a firm feel to them when touched. The best ones would be Roma or cherry tomatoes, as they are sweet and quite flavorful, and ideal for this recipe.
Can I use Canned Tomatoes?
Yes. If you run out of fresh ones or want to utilize a canned version, feel free to do so. Canned plum, San Marzano, or fire-roasted tomatoes would work the best here.
How to serve Salsa?
How Long Will Salsa Last?
This dish is always the best to serve fresh. However, if you want to make it in advance, I recommend storing it in a sealed container or mason jar in the fridge. This way, it will last for up to 3 days.
- Always use the freshest ingredients for this dish. It will make a huge difference!
- I use a sharp knife to cut the ingredients. However, you use a food processor as well. I am just not a fan of pureeing the ingredients as the texture is too watery.
- After mixing the ingredients together, let the salsa chill for at least 15 minutes. This way the ingredients and flavors get combined together, resulting in a better taste.
- Also, if you want a stronger onion taste, add some extra chopped red onion to it.
Easy Salsa Recipe is made with fresh tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, and lime. It is healthy, flavorful, and authentic that will beat any store-bought version.
- 6 ripe tomatoes finely diced
- 2 jalapeños seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dice finely the tomatoes using a very sharp knife. Add them to a large bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes to one hour before serving.
Serve corn chips.