Chicken Fajita Salad combines your favorite Mexican protein dish with the bed of fresh veggies in one, easy-to-prepare dish, done in 30 minutes!
Chicken Fajita Salad
Chicken Fajita Salad is a regular in our menu rotation because it is hearty and delicious! The best part is that it only takes a few minutes to prepare.
At this time of the year when it is hot outside, all you want is something easy, light, and refreshing. And this dish is exactly that! Firing up the grill is also a bonus. But you can always use the stovetop for this one.
And even when it is light, you want to pack as much flavor as you can. And this is what I love about this dish. The marinade of the white meat is flavorful despite its simplicity.
And the dressing is so refreshing! I like its citrusy flavor and it goes well with many dishes including this one. So, if you are looking for something light but festive on your table, follow this recipe!
Is Chicken Fajita Salad healthy?
Yes! I like that this dish is healthy because you get fiber and protein at the same time. There are a lot of veggies and even fruits in this salad. And the white meat itself is lean and healthy.
Here are just some of the health benefits that you can get from this dish:
- breasts: lean and good source of protein
- avocado: rich in potassium, fiber, and good fats
- bell peppers: rich in fiber, vitamin C, iron, and antioxidants that are good for your eyes
- romaine lettuce: rich in vitamins but low in calories
Just remember though that the dressing uses mayo. So, make sure to consume it in moderation. To make a healthier version, use a lighter version or an unflavored Greek yogurt.
How to make Chicken Fajita Salad?
- Marinate the meat: Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Pierce the meat with a fork and then submerge the pieces in the marinade. Cover and marinate for up to 2 hours.
- Prepare the dressing: Mix the ingredients in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Then, refrigerate for later use.
- Grill: Preheat the grill or grill pan and oil the grates. Grill the meat until no longer pink. Then, set aside, cover with a foil, then allow to rest for later. Grill the bell pepper and onions, too, just to soften them enough.
- Assemble: Arrange the greens then top with the rest of the ingredients and sliced chicken. Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with more cilantro leaves before serving.
What to serve with Fajita Salad?
You can serve this dish with your other favorite Mexican-inspired dishes like:
- refried beans
- pico de gallo
- black beans
- corn on the cob
How many calories are in Chicken Fajita Salad?
This dish sets you back by around 660 calories.
Can you make it in advance?
Sure! You can prepare and refrigerate the dressing, the veggies, and the grilled meat separately for up to 3 days. Just reheat the meat before serving.
- You can add tortilla chips and nuts for more texture.
- Adjust the taste of the dressing by adding more of the lime and reduce the cilantro if you like.
- If serving this for a crowd, you can easily make double or triple batches of this recipe.
- You can change up the meat by using other parts of the chicken like thighs. Shrimp and beef also taste good with this salad!
Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
Chicken Fajita Salad
combines your favorite Mexican protein dish with the bed of fresh
veggies in one, easy-to-prepare dish, done in 30 minutes!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Fajita seasoning
- 2 medium chicken breasts skinless/boneless
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 6 cups lettuce leaves washed and dried
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning
Combine all marinade ingredients in large and submerge the chicken in the marinade.
Cover and marinate for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
Turn on the grill at medium-high heat and brush it with oil.
Once hot, grill the chicken breasts on both sides until golden and cooked through.
Place the grilled chicken on a cutting board, cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing it.
Brush the grill again with some oil, add some salt and pepper to the sliced veggies, drizzle them with oil and add grill until soft.
Arrange the salad leaves onto plates, divide the chicken and the veggies equally and drizzle with the creamy yogurt dressing on top.