Spiced Buttered Rum is the ultimate holiday drink this season! It is warm, rich, and nothing but comforting! Celebrate with this creamy drink using this easy recipe!
If you are on the lookout for a new drink to try to make at home, then, this is perfect especially now that it is the cocktail season. Try our other recipes that are perfect for this season like the Orange Cranberry Sangria and Blueberry Lemonade!
Spiced Buttered Rum Recipe
Spiced Buttered Rum has been around for ages and has stuck around because, well, people love it! If you have not tried it ever, then, this is the time to just do it!
The name says it all, it has spices and it has butter. And, anything with butter tastes amazing, right? This drink is proof of that!
It is the cocktail season with all the parties being held left and right as we celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas and all. But nothing beats a warm and comforting drink like this.
Serve it for the family and have a nice conversation around the fireplace or wherever. This drink is not just good, but it warms up the soul.
Try it as this recipe is so easy and the outcome is so good. And trust me, January 17 will not be declared as the National Hot Buttered Rum day for nothing.
What is Spiced Buttered Rum?
Did you know that it has been around since colonial times? It was in the 1650s that Jamaica imported molasses and from that point on, distilleries were built to produce rum from fermented molasses. And from then, this drink was born.
It is made with butter creamed with sweeteners and spices, and then, mixed with your favorite rum and some hot water. As it is warm, it is best consumed during the cold holiday season and has always been associated with Christmas or New Year’s Eve celebrations.
But you can make it anytime throughout the year, of course. It has simple ingredients that you will be able to find all-year-round.
What ingredients are needed to make Spiced Buttered Rum:
Get that old bottle of rum that you have been hiding because you will need a bit of that. And, aside from the butter, you will need to add these ingredients:
- sweeteners: granulated sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, maple syrup
- spices: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves
- others: hot water, vanilla extract, heavy cream, whipped cream
How to make Spiced Buttered Rum
Note that the detailed proportions and instructions are in the recipe card below. But, in general, you will do these:
- Make the batter: Using a mixer, cream the butter with the sweeteners and vanilla until fluffy. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Add flavors: To this batter, you add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and the spices.
- Combine with the liquids: Add the batter to rum and hot water. Taste and adjust the ratios if needed.
- Serve: Top with whipped cream and sprinkle cinnamon then, serve.
Here are some ideas that you can experiment on:
- Add ginger or allspice for more flavors.
- Use whiskey instead of rum.
- Skip the liquor entirely.
How to Store:
This must be served warm, but to be ready in case of sudden cravings, you can keep the batter in the fridge or freezer, stored in an airtight container. Then, just get some and combine with the liquor and hot water when needed.
- To store, you can put the batter in a plastic wrap, and roll to form into a log. When needed, just cut off a piece.
- You can also garnish this with orange peel, cinnamon stick, and ground nutmeg instead of cinnamon.
- Use a preheated mug to serve this drink.
Spiced Buttered Rum
Spiced Buttered Rum is the ultimate holiday drink this season! It is warm, rich, and nothing but comforting!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 oz rum
- Whipped cream
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, maple syrup and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Add heavy cream, powdered sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix on low speed until well combined and the mixture is smooth.
Combine 3 tablespoons of the Butter Mixture with 2 oz rum and 1/2 cup hot water. Adjust the batter to rum ratios to taste.
Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon.