Peanut Butter Balls are super soft, loaded with peanut butter, and topped with a crisp chocolate cover. The perfect Christmas treat to make with only 4 easy ingredients!
These balls are probably my favorite no-bake dessert. They are festive, easy to make, and a fun project to have with kids during the holiday season. You might also like Christmas Trash Cookies, Puppy Chow, and Chocolate Dipped Strawberries.
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
When it comes to the ultimate holiday dessert, these Peanut Butter Balls are on top of my list! These balls are not exactly cookies as they are not baked, and have a very soft and chewy texture. Once you bite into them, you will realize that they taste even better than cookies!
For me, the chocolate and peanut butter combo are pretty hard to resist. Mixing them together is the perfect match! Also, the great thing about this recipe is that you only need 4 ingredients, and no baking is required.
I like to make them with my kid as a fun holiday project. It is a very easy and simple recipe to follow. You can also double the ingredients to make a large batch. This is the ideal treat to make for parties, birthdays, or special occasions. Give them a try and you are guaranteed to fall in love with them!
What do you need to make No Bake Peanut Butter Balls?
- Unsalted Butter: I like using unsalted butter because the peanut butter usually has a bit of salt in it. So, I do not want to make this dessert salty! The main thing with the butter is to let it on the counter to come to room temperature. This is essential for this recipe. So plan accordingly!
- Peanut Butter: Creamy version is the best here. Like Jif or Skippy.
- Powdered Sugar: This is used to firm up the filling, so the balls are easier to roll.
- Semi-sweet Chocolate: I love my topping more on a sweeter side. Therefore, I tend to go with semi-sweet chocolate. However, if you like darker chocolate, by any means use it instead.
How to Make Peanut Butter Balls?
- First, you have to melt the butter and peanut butter together in a saucepan on med/low heat.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in powdered sugar until fully combined. Cover and place in the fridge for about 15 minutes to firm up.
- Once chilled, using your hands, roll into 1-inch balls and then refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate according to package instructions.
- Lastly, using a fork, dip the balls into melted chocolate. Place the chocolate balls onto wax paper, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can modify and adjust this recipe per your licking. Some great alternatives are:
- Instead of dark or semi-sweet chocolate, go with white chocolate for the topping. Also, you could add some sprinkles on top.
- Add some rice Krispies to the mix. Just use about 1/2 cup cereal. This will give the balls a nice crunchy texture.
- Add oats or other cereals. Feel free to add 1/2 oats to the mixture. This way you can enjoy them in the morning for breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee!
Can you freeze Peanut Butter Balls?
Absolutely! This is the perfect dessert to refrigerate or freeze. Just remember to allow the chocolate to set completely prior to freezing. Then, line the balls in a Tupperware container in an even layer.
Add a piece of wax or parchment paper on top and repeat until full. Seal the top, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw them, simply transfer the container from the freezer into the refrigerator overnight.
- As stated above, I recommend using unsalted butter due to the fact that PB has already salt in it. However, if you plan on using salted butter, please taste and adjust the powdered sugar accordingly.
- Also, feel free to use other types of butter. For example, almond butter, cashew butter, will also work just fine here.
- The PB dough can be made in advance, and simply refrigerated. Just tightly wrap the dough in plastic, and refrigerate for 2-3 days ahead.
- It is important to chill the balls prior to dipping into the melted chocolate. Otherwise, they will lose the shape, and also get watery.
- I use a fork or toothpick for dipping.
- In addition, for a quick melting process, feel free to use the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- For a more holiday and festive look, feel free to decorate the balls with sprinkles or melted caramel.
- The balls can be made for other special occasions and decorated per your liking. For example, you can use a few drops of gel food coloring to make them green, and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
No Bake Peanut Butter Balls
Peanut Butter Balls are super soft, loaded with peanut butter, and topped with a crisp chocolate cover.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sprinkles optional
Add powdered sugar to a medium bowl. Set aside.
Add the butter and peanut butter to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Melt and stir to combine.
Remove from heat and gradually stir it into the powdered sugar until fully combined. Cover and place in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to firm up.
Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
Once chilled, using your hands, roll into 1-inch balls and for best results, chill for another 15-20 minutes.
Melt the chocolate according to package instructions.
Using a fork, dip the balls into melted chocolate or drizzle the chocolate on top of the balls, placing back on the baking sheet. Immediately garnish with sprinkles if using.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.