Chicken Marsala is a one-pan Italian inspired dish that is made with chicken and mushrooms in a rich Marsala based sauce. A classic restaurant-quality dish easily made at home!
Easy Homemade Chicken Marsala Recipe
If you are looking for a rich and delicious Italian-American dish, then this Creamy Chicken Marsala recipe is for you! It is a true classic dinner that is easily made at home. It is creamy, flavorful, and will satisfy your entire family!
With this recipe, you can skip the fancy and expensive restaurant because this recipe is truly amazing! The meat is flavorful and tender, and the sauce is a nice compliment, especially if served over rice or pasta. This dish varies from creamy to dark depending on your preference.
However, the secret ingredient here is Marsala wine. There are many variations of it, so ensure you use the correct, and the best wine. In this post, I will teach you how to make the best Classic Chicken Marsala recipe from scratch.
What is Chicken Marsala?
It is an Italian-inspired dish that is made with brandy-fortified wine usually from the Sicily region. The wine is very characteristic of this meal.
The recipe is made with chicken breast fillets combined with mushrooms in a rich Marsala wine-based sauce.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MARSALA?
- Prepare the chicken: The best cut for this recipe is to use breasts. Also, you can buy ready chicken fillets from the store, or simply buy boneless, skinless breasts, and do it yourself at home. Just use a sharp knife to halve them evenly. Just slice toward the thickest end, horizontally, so you wind up with two even halves.
- Brown the meat: Once you sliced the breast in half or about 1/4 inch thick, season with salt and pepper, and dredge into flour. Then, brown the poultry in a skillet for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Saute the mushrooms: In the same skillet, add butter and mushrooms and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Then, stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- Add Marsala Wine: Lastly, add the wine and broth and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the texture is thick. Add back the fillets, and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve: Enjoy it warm over some rice or pasta.
What is the best Marsala wine to use?
The key ingredient here is the wine. It is widely available in stores, or you can buy it online by clicking this link. For the best results, I recommend going with the dry wine version.
SUBSTITUTION FOR MARSALA WINE:
If you don’t have or can’t find Marsala wine, you can use half a cup of grape juice mixed with two teaspoons of brandy. Alternatively, you could substitute it with Madeira wine, Dry Sherry, or even a nice dry white wine.
For a non-alcoholic substitute, use ¼ cup of white grape juice with 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar.
How to make Crockpot Chicken Marsala?
Making it in the crockpot or Slow Cooker is equally simple. Also, because the cooking time in the Slow Cooker is longer, I recommend not to fillet the meat, and use a regular (thicker) breasts. Even thighs will work perfectly in the crockpot.
Just place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for six hours. Prior to serving, make the cornstarch and water slurry and add pour it over the meat, while gently stirring. This will thicken the sauce.
How to store it?
You can easily refrigerate or freeze leftovers. Simply, transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To freeze, use a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
More delicious One-Pan meals:
- Peach Pork Chops
- Lemon Garlic Scallops
- Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- I highly recommend cutting the chicken breast into thinner slices to ensure evenly cooking.
- Also, coat the meat evenly with flour. This will make it crispy and super delicious!
- To save some time, you can buy poultry cutlets from the store. They are already thinly sliced, so you do not need to worry about slicking them.
- For a creamier texture, feel free to add 1/3 cup of heavy cream to the mixture.
- Use any type of mushrooms you like or have available.
Chicken Marsala is a one-pan Italian inspired dish that is made with chicken and mushrooms in a rich Marsala based sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 small chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
In a shallow dish season flour with salt and pepper.
Dredge the chicken into the flour mixture and shake off excess.
Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Once simmering, add the chicken and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, until browned.
Transfer chicken to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
In the same pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 2-3 minutes until browned, then add the minced garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
Pour the Marsala wine to the skillet and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, while scraping off the browned bits of chicken.
Pour in the cream and return the chicken back into the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with pasta.