Stuffed Pepper Skillet is a fun way to make stuffed bell peppers without rice! This easy 30 minute dinner recipe is a version of unstuffed peppers. It’s a family friendly weeknight skillet meal with ground beef, bell peppers, Italian seasoning and a hearty tomato sauce, all served over large shell pasta.
Like our other 30 minute pasta recipes, this Stuffed Pepper Skillet Pasta is quick and easy to make and perfect for a delicious weeknight dinner. We recommend that you add to your menu our famous Jalapeño Popper Pasta, or the creamy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta, and for a lighter version, check our Chicken Pesto Pasta.
Stuffed Pepper Skillet
What culture are stuffed peppers from?
Stuffed pepper recipes are widely used in Spanish cuisine.
Originally, hot peppers such as piquillos were stuffed with a filling of chicken, spicy red sauce, and a regional cheese such as Manchego. As the recipe was shared around the world, Spain’s regional ingredients and spices were replaced with whatever was local to the people making the dish.
What types of peppers can be stuffed?
As long as the variety of peppers are large enough to hold filling, they can be used!
This stuffed pepper skillet recipe is versatile, too. If you prefer spicy peppers, go ahead and swap out the sweet bell peppers for your favorite variety instead.
How do you make stuffed peppers with pasta instead of rice?
Stuffed bell peppers are a classic, family favorite meal, but because it uses uncooked rice, it can take a while to cook.
Our cheesy stuffed pepper skillet meal has the flavors of stuffed peppers, but these are unstuffed peppers. The components cook quickly in a skillet.
Rather than using rice, the meal is served over tender shell pasta. If you prefer a different type of pasta, feel free to swap out the shell pasta for your favorite kind.
Follow 30 Minutes Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
How do you make bell peppers with ground beef?
Traditional stuffed bell pepper recipes use ground beef. The Cheesy Stuffed Pepper Skillet recipe is no exception. Making the recipe is very simple:
- Cook the pasta according to box directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a hot skillet, then drain most of the grease and remove the beef from the pan.
- Add the diced onion and peppers, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Next, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add back the beef to the pan, add tomato paste, Italian seasoning, water and marinara sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked pasta, stir and bring to a simmer, cook for a few minutes.
- Top with mozzarella cheese, allow it to melt, then plate the servings.
- Garnish the plates of cheesy stuffed pepper skillet dinner with parsley, more cheese and serve immediately.
Stuffed Pepper Skillet Recipe Tips:
- Use quality beef, preferably organic. Also, this recipe can be easily made with ground chicken, ground pork or ground sausage.
- Mozzarella cheese is delicious in the pasta recipe, but you can use Pepper Jack cheese for a spicy kick, or cheddar cheese for a deeper flavor.
- Add red pepper flakes for a spicier sauce.
- Marinara sauce, tomato sauce, pizza sauce and even salsa work great in this recipe.
Please enjoy this easy, 30 minute dinner recipe!
What to serve with Cheesy Stuffed Pepper Skillet with Pasta
Pasta dinners are delicious with a loaf of crusty French bread or some garlic bread. We also like to serve a small salad on the side, our favorite being Greek salad.
After dinner, an easy dessert such as Peanut Butter Mousse is a delicious choice.
Cheesy Stuffed Pepper Skillet with Pasta
Stuffed Pepper Skillet is a fun way to make stuffed bell peppers without rice! This easy 30 minute dinner recipe is a version of unstuffed peppers.
- 1/2 pound large shell pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning herbs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
Cook the pasta according to box directions and drain. Set aside.
Meanwhile, place a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef to the hot pan and brown well.
Remove beef from pan and set aside. Drain accumulated grease, leaving only about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
Add the diced onion and peppers, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add back the beef to the pan, add tomato paste, Italian seasoning, water and marinara sauce. Stir to combine.
Add cooked pasta, stir and bring to a simmer, cook for a few minutes.
Remove from heat. Top with mozzarella cheese and let the cheese melt. Stir to combine with the pasta and beef.
Garnish with parsley, more cheese and serve immediately.