Coffee Milkshake is made with coffee ice cream, my favorite way to get a caffeine boost on a hot summer afternoon. These delicious shakes are fast and easy, done in just a few minutes with just a handful of ingredients. You can use any flavor of ice cream to make this coffee milkshake recipe however you like.
For more easy recipes, try our Shamrock Shake Copycat with mint extract, vanilla ice cream, and milk or this Starbucks Pumpkin Latte Copycat made with pumpkin puree, pie spice, and brown sugar. Make your own adult beverage with our Irish Coffee Recipe made with whiskey or rum.
This is the perfect cold drink for coffee lovers on a hot summer day or any hot day for that matter. If you need an extra boost, make it a strong coffee shake by adding more granules.
Although this is a cold coffee drink, it does not taste like the average cold brew. It has the sweet taste of ice cream, cocoa powder, and vanilla as well.
If you were to get this milkshake at one of those specialty shops, you would pay more than $5 when you can make it at home for less than a buck.
Caffeine recipes are popular right now and you can find them in almost everything.
For the full list of ingredients and instructions, scroll down to our printable recipe card. But here are the simple ingredients for this creamy coffee milkshake:
- Milk: Whole milk works best but you can use low-fat or skim milk.
- Instant coffee granules: Or instant coffee powder.
- Cocoa powder: Make sure it is drinking cocoa powder.
- Coffee ice cream: Five big scoops.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract.
How to make a coffee milkshake recipe?
- Mix: First, add ice cream, vanilla, cocoa powder, granules, and milk to a food processor or blender. Blend until it is smooth and creamy, for about one minute to two minutes.
- Serve: Then, pour the shake into glasses and serve.
- Syrup: If you do not have vanilla extract, you can substitute it with vanilla syrup.
- Vanilla: Use five scoops of vanilla ice cream instead of coffee ice cream for a lighter flavor.
- Chocolate: Make it a chocolate coffee milkshake by using chocolate ice cream instead.
- Sugar-free: For a healthier choice, make sugar-free milkshakes using sugar-free ingredients.
- Coffee syrup: Add any flavor coffee syrup to make the best coffee milkshake for your tastes.
- Healthier options: As an alternative, try these healthy smoothies for breakfast.
How to serve:
Serve in a tall glass with a dollop of whipped cream. Or try one of these serving ideas:
- Drizzle some chocolate syrup on top for a chocolate flavor.
- Another way to add chocolate flavor is to add a handful of chocolate chips.
- Serve with a small bowl of biscotti or your favorite cookies.
- Make coffee ice cubes. Pour into an ice cube tray and use one or two in your drink during the summer.
- Enjoy this creamy milkshake with our air fryer french toast sticks.
- This is a great drink on National Coffee Milkshake Day, which is July 26th.
- Add some caramel sauce for a caramel coffee milkshake.
Frequently asked questions
Can you make a milkshake without a blender?
You can make any milkshake without a blender. Try using your food processor if you have one of those.
If not, you can use a mason jar or some other jar with a lid and a microwave.
First, put the ice cream in the jar and let it melt in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Then, add your other ingredients, put the lid on the jar, and shake it vigorously for about a minute. Use a long spoon to get any big pieces of ice cream that did not mix.
Can you make a milkshake without milk?
Instead of milk, you could use frozen bananas, crushed almonds, coconut cream, or mashed avocado.
Another option is to use sour cream, Greek yogurt, or heavy cream.
If you do not mind the extra flavor, frozen strawberries would also work. If nothing else, use ice.
What is the difference between drinking cocoa and regular?
Cocoa powder is made from ground cocoa beans roasted at a high temperature.
They are then ground into a fine powder and typically consist of nothing but finely ground cocoa beans.
Drinking cocoa is more like the hot cocoa you get in little packets to make your hot chocolate drink.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: Store your jar in the fridge while you drink your portion in a glass. If you are not going to consume it right away, put it in a freezer-safe jar and keep it in the freezer.
- Thaw: Remember to thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
- Ninja blenders work great for this, but you can use any blender or a food processor too.
- The best homemade coffee milkshake should be enjoyed right away before it melts.
- Keep your serving glass in the freezer so it does not melt as you drink it.
- Add ice cubes to make your milkshake thicker.
- To thin it out, add another splash of milk.
- Try using flavored milk powders like Nesquik instead of cocoa powder.
Coffee Milkshake is made with coffee ice cream, my favorite way to get a caffeine boost on a hot summer afternoon.
- 1 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons drinking cocoa powder
- 5 scoops coffee ice cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add all the ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth and combined.
Pour into glasses and serve immediately.