Air Fryer French Toast Sticks is dipped into a cinnamon-orange cream custard, then baked in the air-fryer until it becomes slightly crispy and golden. This is one of the most delicious ways to begin the day!
French Toast Sticks
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks will put you in a good mood! It’s hearty thanks to the thick slices of bread plus the rich, cream-and-egg custard we’re soaking it in. Balancing out that richness are warm spices and fresh orange.
On top of that, it’s ready in a jiffy! Each batch is done in less than 15 minutes. Finally, let everyone customize their own French Toast Sticks with sweet sauces, fruits, and many more!
What goes into Air Fryer French Toast Sticks?
For the bread:
- Thick-cut bread: Ideally, use Texas toast.
- Butter: We’re frying the sticks here, and also adds more flavor.
For the custard:
- Cream, milk (whole) and fresh eggs: These three will form the base of our custard.
- Sweeteners: We’re using both white and brown sugars not just for sweetness, but to encourage caramelization in the custard.
- Flavorings: To the custard, we’re adding vanilla, spices, and orange zest plus juice.
How to make homemade French toast sticks in the AF?
- Slice. Slice your bread into pieces, about 4 each.
- Whisk. Mix the cream with the rest of the custard components, including the flavorings.
- Coat. Dip each bread stick into your spiced custard mixture.
- Cook. Air-fry for 4 minutes at 370F one side, flip, then seal and cook for about 4 mins. more until it’s done to your preference.
- Serve. Enjoy hot!
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Other breads: Aside from brioche and Texas toast, we also love using thick slices of baguettes, challah, and Pullman loaves. And don’t hesitate to get creative— try raisin bread, cranberry bread, and more.
- Flavors: Get creative! For instance, you can switch out the orange flavors with lemon, lime, fruit extracts, etc. Love spice? Add cardamom, ginger, pumpkin spice, or all spice.
- Savory: Follow the custard base, but skip all the flavorings. Instead, flavor it with savory ingredients like parmesan cheese, salt, spices like garlic powder, fresh pepper, and herbs.
- Low-carb: Use keto bread, and replace the milk with more heavy cream. Use keto-approved sweeteners like Stevia and erythritol.
Can you fry frozen French toast sticks?
Yes! Simply add a few more minutes to the cooking time. Also, don’t defrost them from frozen because it will make them soggy. Just pop them in there straight from your freezer, and the air-fryer will take care of it.
What to serve with French toast sticks?
There are so many ways to enjoy these French toast sticks! Here are our top recommendations:
- Drizzle sweet sauces like caramel, white chocolate, and dark chocolate
- Top it with a mound of whip cream
- Drench it in your favorite pancake syrup!
- Slice up fresh fruits and serve them on the side
- Enjoy them with other breakfast favorites like bacon, fried or scrambled eggs, sausages, etc.
- Turn them into an indulgent snack with a scoop of ice cream and chopped candies
Can I make this recipe in advance?
We don’t recommend it, because the slices will get too soggy if they’re left with raw custard for too long.
What you can do, however, is freeze them after being air-fried:
- Cool them down.
- Arrange on a baking sheet or plate.
- Flash-freeze for an hour or two.
- Place in a Ziploc and keep for a month.
- To reheat, air-fry at 400F straight from frozen for about 15-20 minutes with a halfway flip.
Now you have French toast sticks on demand!
After cooling them down, transfer to a container with a good seal. Chill for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but do try to finish them ASAP for best texture.
To reheat, bake in a 400F oven, 400F air-fryer, or microwave for a few minutes until hot.
More breakfast recipes to try:
- If you don’t have cream, it’s okay to replace it with milk.
- Soak the bread slices fully, but don’t let them linger too long in the custard mixture or they’ll fall apart.
- Don’t flip too early! Wait until they’ve formed a brown crust before flipping, or they may stick to the basket and tear.
AirFryer French Toast Sticks is dipped into a cinnamon-orange creamcustard, then baked in the air-fryer until it becomes slightly crispyand golden. This is one of the most delicious ways to begin the day!
- 8 slices texas toast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 3 large eggs at room temperature,
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- pinch salt
Preheat air fryer to 380°F
Cut each slice of bread into 3-4 sticks.
Whisk all the other ingredients in a bowl.
Dip each stick into the custard mixture and gently press it to soak some of the mixture.
Place in the air fryer basket into a single layer and cook for 4 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Repeat with the remaining bread.
Serve with berries, powdered sugar, and maple syrup.