Shamrock Shake is minty, creamy, and all-around delicious! This green frozen drink is perfect as a St. Patrick’s Day treat, but you’ll be craving it all year long!
Oreo Shamrock Shake Copycat
Shamrock Shake is the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day in one delicious and creamy frozen drink! If you’ve ever seen “Shamrock Shake” in your local McDonalds around St. Paddy’s Day, this is basically a homemade hack of that seasonal item.
Specifically, we’re taking everyone’s favorite vanilla milkshake and kicking it up a notch with some refreshing mint flavor. A few drops of food dye give it that festive green color that the drink is so famous for. Finally, we’re finishing it up with tons of whipped cream, shiny green sugar, and a cherry on top.
What is shamrock shake?
It’s the brainchild of burger chain McDonalds, which invented the drink in the 1970S as a seasonal item during St. Patrick’s Day. Following the Irish holiday’s green motif, it’s mixed with bright green food color to represent its namesake, the young sprig called Shamrock, aka the national emblem of Ireland!
The item became sought-after because it’s so rare to see it on the McDonald’s menu. Aside from that, it’s so delicious, too. It’s super creamy, minty, and downright addicting!
Shamrock Shake ingredients:
- Vanilla ice cream: Use your favorite brand, but we recommend getting a really high-quality one because it’s the base flavor of this shake.
- Milk: Add creaminess and loosens up the ice cream.
- Half and half: We’re also adding half and half to make the creamiest shake ever!
- Mint extract: Double check the bottle— we want mint for that original flavor, not peppermint.
- Green food color: You can’t call it a “shamrock” shake if it’s not green!
- Garnishes: The classic toppings are fluffy whipped cream, green sparkling sugar, and sweet maraschino cherries.
How to make shamrock shake from scratch?
- Blend everything together. Except for the garnishes, mix everything in your blender until completely smooth.
- Decorate. Pour into transparent glass jars (you want to show off that beautiful green shade, crown with whip, a dusting of sparkling green sugar, and a cherry. Enjoy!
How long do Shamrock Shakes last?
This is a frozen milk shake, so not very long. Unless you like drinking yours melted and lukewarm, you should enjoy it as soon as possible after you make it.
Now, if you’re referring to how long you can buy them at your local McDonalds, the answer is – not very long either! This item only appears on the menu a few days before and on St. Paddy’s Day.
Now that you know how to make your very own Shamrock Shake, though, you never have to wait an entire year to get your fix. Enjoy it any time, all the time!
Best topping suggestions:
Aside from the usual garnishes, we also love topping ours with:
- Chocolate chips and chocolate sauce
- Green sprinkles
- Andes mint chocolate
- Caramel syrup
- Crushed thin mints
- Mint leaves
- Mocha sauce
- A small scoop of chocolate or mint chocolate chip ice cream on top
Can you make shamrock shake in advance?
I don’t recommend it, since they are best when made fresh, and freezing it after blending won’t give you’re the same silky consistency.
What you can do, however, is always have the ingredients on standby so you can whip up a batch anytime you like.
More dessert recipes to try:
- Baked Chocolate Donuts
- Peanut Butter Balls – No Bake
- Easy Pumpkin Cream Puffs
- Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
- Easy Chocolate Mint Mousse
- There are so many delicious twists you can do with this recipe! For instance, mix in crushed Oreo cookies, chocolate chips, or use half vanilla and half chocolate ice cream for the base. You can also use mint chocolate ice cream to double the mint flavor!
- Looking for a vegan version? Use almond milk, vegan ice cream, and coconut cream in place of the half and half.
- For a dairy-free drink, just sub with dairy-free ice cream and milk.
- It’s up to you how green you want your shake to be. You can make it a very light pastel shade with only a few drops of food dye, or make it festive and vibrant with more food color!
ShamrockShake is minty, creamy, and all-around delicious! This green frozendrink is perfect as a St. Patrick’s Day treat, but you’ll becraving it all year long!
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure mint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon mint green food coloring or more
- 12 Oreos crushed
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
Add ice cream, milk, mint extract, and food coloring to a large blender and blend until smooth.
For the Oreo version, stir in crushed Oreos now.
Pour into serving glasses.
Top with whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry.