Egg Roll in a Bowl is a quick one-pan dinner full of Asian flavors and ready in just under 30 minutes. Made with ground sausage, coleslaw mix, and seasoning, this is the ideal dish for the whole family to enjoy during busy weekdays!
I love quick and easy dinner ideas that you can make with simple ingredients and be ready in no time. For more one-pan dinner recipes, check out my Low Carb Mongolian Beef, Pasta Primavera, and Sesame Noodle with Tofu.
Keto Egg Roll In a Bowl
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is one of those recipes that you simply have to try and make it. It is super flavorful, easy to prepare, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and made with only 6 ingredients.
Unlike many Chinese-inspired dishes, that are deep-fried, this one is actually quite healthy. The coleslaw mix works really well here in combination with the ground sausage.
It is also full of proteins, and Keto friendly. If you are someone who is using weight watchers this recipe should be on your menu, as it is low in carb, high in proteins, and keto-friendly.
In addition, it stores well, and leftovers can be used for days to comes. Feel free to double or triple it as well. I use ground sausage here, but you can easily make it with ground beef, pork, chicken, or turkey. Just go with what you love and have on hand.
Does an Egg Roll have an egg in it?
Unlike the name suggests, this dish does not have egg in it. The name traditionally comes from the wrapper that wraps it all up. However, there are variations to this recipe, so you can easily add an egg at the end of the cooking time. This can add extra proteins and flavor to it.
You will need the following ingredients:
- Ground Sausage (or ground, beef, pork, or chicken)
- Coleslaw Mix
- Seasoning: minced garlic, ground ginger, soy sauce, and green onions.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl?
- Cook the Meat: First, brown the ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Once browned, drain the fat.
- Add the coleslaw: Next, add the coleslaw mix, and the seasoning, and stir while it is cooking.
- Serve: Enjoy it warm with freshly chopped green onions.
Recips Variolisations and substitutions:
- Meat: Swap the ground sausage with ground chicken, turkey, pork, or beef.
- Tofu: For a vegetarian take, swap the meat with cubed tofu.
- Spicy: To make it spicier, add some freshly chopped jalapeno.
- Veggies: Feel free to add more veggies to it. Some great additions would be peas, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, bell peppers, etc.
What can I substitute for the coleslaw?
This dish is equally delicious with broccoli slow, lettuce, chopped broccoli, or even a medley of your favorite vegetable
What kind of meat do I use?
As stated above I use ground sausage here. However, you can make it with pork or beef. Especially when eating on a Keto dies, it is very important to have good quality meat with healthy fats. Therefore, go with grass-fed and organic meat whenever possible.
What goes with Egg Roll in a bowl?
Serve it as an appetizer before dinner, especially if you are making it vegetarian.
How to store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 4-5 days.
Reheat leftovers in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes until warm. Similarly, you can microwave them for a few minutes.
- Even though this dish does not contain an egg, you can add it towards the end of the cooking process. This will add more proteins and flavor to it.
- Also, to garnish, feel free to use sesame seeds, dried nuts, or roasted peanuts or cashews.
- For a sauce, you can also go with hoisin sauce, sriracha, or red chile paste.
Egg Roll in a Bowl is a quick one-pan dinner full of Asian flavors and ready in just under 30 minutes. Made with ground sausage, coleslaw mix, and seasoning
- 1 pound ground sausage or ground beef
- 6 cups coleslaw mix
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup green onions diced
Place a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground sausage, break with a spoon and cook for 7 minutes. Drain fat.
Add in coleslaw mix, minced garlic, ground ginger, and soy sauce. Cook until coleslaw mix is tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Serve topped with green onions.