Low Carb Chinese Lemon Chicken is crispy, juicy, and bathed in an addicting ginger-garlic lemon sauce. Say hello to the keto-friendly version of this take-out favorite!
Running low on time before dinner? When you want something quick and delicious in a flash, it’s hard to beat Asian stir-fries. This Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, Korean Beef Bowl, and Skinny Mongolian Beef Noodles taste amazing and are ready in a flash!
Keto Chinese Lemon Chicken
Low Carb Chinese Lemon Chicken is my easy and keto-friendly interpretation of this popular Chinese fast-food item. I absolutely love Chinese take-out, but like any fast food, most of it are loaded with carbs and calories. So, I set out to see if I can replicate those classic lemon chicken flavors minus the carbs.
After making a few substitutions, I’m happy to report that this recipe is a success! You have that tart, sweet, and sticky sauce infused with garlic and ginger coating the crispiest white meat. Believe me, you’ll want to double that sauce because you’ll be licking it off your spoon! Move over, Chinese take-out – there’s a new low-carb star in town!
What is Chinese Lemon Chicken?
It’s a dish popularized by Chinese fast-food restaurants. Pieces of meat, usually chicken, are deep-fried then coated in a sweet-and-sour lemon-based sauce.
Are lemons low in carbs?
Yes! They’re keto-friendly fruits. A squeeze of lemon generally has just 0.5g carbs, and we need so little in this recipe! Aside from being low carb, it’s also incredibly low in fat and sugar. It’s a healthy way to add a burst of flavor to any dish!
What does lemon juice do to chicken?
Aside from adding a bright, zesty flavor to the meat, it also tenderizes it. That’s especially helpful for meatier and less fatty cuts like skinless breasts.
How do you make Low Carb Chinese Lemon Chicken from scratch?
- Prep. Whisk the sauce together and slice the breast meat into 1-inch cubes.
- Crisp up the cubed breast meat. Season, then sear in oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Toss. Add the sauce mix to the browned meat and coat. Stir until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Serve. Plate it up with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, green onions, and lemon zest for color. Enjoy hot!
- Regular version: Use soy sauce in place of the liquid aminos, and brown sugar instead of low-carb syrup.
- Use other sweeteners: Try honey for a stickier sauce!
- Add vegetables: Add some thinly-sliced carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, baby spinach to the stir-fry.
- Use other meats: Sub juicy thighs, tender pork, or quick-cooking strips of beef instead of breasts.
- Make it spicy: Add a tbsp or more of red chili flakes for a spicier sauce.
What do you eat Low Carb Chinese Lemon Chicken with?
Stay with the low-carb theme by serving it with some cauliflower rice! But if you’d like to indulge, it’s perfect with Egg Fried Rice. Make some Shrimp and Broccoli for additional protein and greens, or a side of Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts to round out the meal. You can also steam some broccoli or baby spinach for a fast veggie side!
What is liquid aminos?
Liquid aminos is a keto-friendly/low-carb substitute for soy sauce. It’s also gluten-free and vegan. It’s made u breaking down soybeans into free amino acids using an acidic solution. As a result, it looks, smells, and tastes like soy sauce, but with none of the carbs!
If you follow a low-carb diet or want to try out more keto recipes, keep a bottle of this in your pantry!
How to store:
Once all of the leftovers are cool, transfer to an air-tight container. This will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to freeze:
Again, cool down the dish before transferring to a freezer baggie or container. Freeze up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave for a few minutes until piping hot.
More Low Carb Recipes:
- Low Carb Mongolian Beef
- Healthy Sauteed Cabbage
- Want more flavor on your chicken? Add a little garlic and onion powder to the meat prior to searing.
- Instead of low-carb syrup, you can also use Swerve or other low-carb artificial sweeteners.
- For crispier meat, toss the chicken in a bit of cornstarch before browning them.
Low Carb Chinese Lemon Chicken
LowCarb Chinese Lemon Chicken is crispy, juicy, and bathed in anaddicting ginger-garlic lemon sauce. Say hello to the keto-friendlyversion of this take-out favorite!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into 1-inch cubes
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup amino acids
- 1/2 cup low carb syrup
- 1 large lemon zested
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 greenonions chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Lemon slices
Combine some salt and pepper in a large shallow plate or salad bowl and coat the chicken cubes in the mixture.
Place a large wok over medium high heat, once the oil is hot, add the chicken and fry on medium-high heat until crispy and golden.
In the meantime, whisk together the SAUCE ingredients in a bowl.
Add in the chicken back to the pan and toss.
Give the sauce in the bowl a quick stir and add it to the pan.
Stir to coat the chicken well for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the sauce has thickened.
Garnish with chopped green onions, sesame seeds and fresh lemon zest