Easy Orange Sauce Recipe
How do you make orange sauce?
- Heat: In a saucepan, over medium heat, add oil and sauce the garlic and ginger.
- Rest of the ingredients: Next, add in brown sugar, orange juice, water, soy sauce, rice vinegar and zest. Then,whisk for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Bring to a boil, and cook the mixture for another 1-2 minutes while constantly whisking.
- Cornstarch: Stir in the cornstarch slurry and whisk gently until it thickens. Let it cool down and then serve over your favorite meal.
How do you thicken the orange sauce?
The cornstarch helps with thickening the dish. It is used in this recipe exactly for this purpose. If for some reason you end up with a runny sauce and want to make it thicker, simply add a small amount of juice with a bit of cornstarch, and mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
How to use the sauce?
It is a great way to incorporate it with pretty much any type of food. You can use it over:
- Veggies such as broccoli, asparagus, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, and many others.
- Desserts such as over ice cream, pancakes, or waffles.
Can you make it ahead?
Yes! Feel free to double or triple the recipes. Prior to storing let it completely cool. Then, transfer it to a sealed jar, and refrigerate it for up to 2 weeks.
More sauce recipes to try:
- For flavor variation, swap the orange juice with lemon juice. Also, this will add a more citrusy tone to it.
- To make it spicy, add some chili flakes or freshly chopped jalapeno peppers.
- You can swap sugar with brown sugar, or even honey.
- In addition, minced garlic can be added for deeper flavors.
Homemade Orange Sauce is an easy and quick way to experience Chinese flavors in every bite! It is great when incorporated in stir-fries.
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
Heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil in a sauce pan.
Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook stirring for 2 - 3 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the water, orange juice, zest, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and soy sauce and heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of orange juice to form a slurry.
Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce and whisk to thicken, around 3 - 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and use as desired.