Green Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Green Smoothie Bowl is a nutritious powerhouse packed with greens, fruits, creamy coconut milk, and your choice of toppings. Perfect for a post-workout boost, anytime snack, or breakfast!
Who says healthy recipes can’t have big flavors? Shrimp and Broccoli tastes exactly like take-out, but light and loaded with greens and veggies. You need to try this beautiful Beet Salad with Goat Cheese – the dressing is amazing! Finally, start your day right with these fiber-loaded Yogurt Oatmeal Pancakes.
Breakfast Smoothie Bowl
Green Smoothie Bowl will make you hop on the green smoothie train and never look back! Why put the smoothie in a bowl instead of just drinking it, you ask? Because this blended goodness should be savored. It has the consistency of soft-serve ice cream or a sorbet so you can swap out the straw with a spoon. You’ve got all those yummy toppings as well!
I love how I feel so healthy from the inside out every time I have this dish. Because it’s so filling, you can have it as a full breakfast or a big snack. It’s also the perfect thing to eat after a workout or a run.
This recipe takes almost no time to make, too! My secret is, freeze the chopped ingredients in advance, portion into Ziplock bags, and freeze. Just throw it all in a blender and it’s ready!
Is green smoothie bowl healthy?
Yes! In just one serving, you get two full cups of spinach. The avocado contributes healthy fats which are terrific for heart health. We use honey instead of table sugar sweetness and a dose of antioxidants. The fruits add even more nutrients.
Your choice of toppings matter, too. Some of my favorites are nuts (rich in protein) and flaxseed and chia seeds (fiber and antioxidants). So yes, it’s super healthy!
Green smoothie bowl ingredients:
For the creamy, liquid base, you’re going to need coconut milk. The avocado adds more creaminess, while the spinach makes up the bulk of the greens. You can use frozen or fresh.
For the fruits, prepare mango, pineapple, and banana. Our main sweetener is honey, while the vanilla extract adds more flavor. Finally, the lime juice and lime zest brighten up all the flavors. I like topping this with coconut flakes, slivered almonds, granola, and berries.
How to make Green Smoothie Bowl?
- Blend. In a high-powered blender starting on low, blend until smooth.
- Serve. Divide into bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings.
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Use other kinds of milk: instead of coconut milk, use almond milk, soy milk, or other unsweetened milk alternatives
- Use different fruits: try apples, frozen berries, kiwis, etc.
- Infuse with more kick: ginger and mint perk up the flavors nicely
- Try different greens: you can use kale instead of spinach, or combine the two
How do you thicken a smoothie bowl?
Aside from adding more fiber, chia seeds and flaxseeds also help thicken this bowl. Give the seeds at least 10 minutes to absorb liquid and turn deliciously gelatinous.
Another great thickener is unsweetened Greek yogurt. You can also add a scoop of raw oats, peanut butter, or protein powder. Make sure your fruits are frozen before blending— this will help you achieve the consistency of frozen yogurt instead of a loose smoothie.
Can you make it in advance?
Yes. Multiply the ingredients depending on how many servings you want to make ahead. Divide into single-portion Ziplock bags. Freeze. Blend and serve whenever you’re in the mood for something healthy!
Best smoothie bowl toppings:
- Try different fruit toppings: top with fresh, strawberries, kiwis, blackberries, cranberries, and other fruits
- Increase fiber: add chia seeds, flaxseeds, and other fiber-rich toppings
- Add crunch: Top with toasted oats and nuts
- Boost the sweetness: drizzle with honey, maple syrup, or a bit of sugar-free chocolate shavings
More healthy recipes:
- Honey Citrus Salmon – One Pan
- Detox Beet Juice
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Greek Salad with Homemade Dressing
- Cucumber Sandwiches
- Freeze all the chopped fruits before blending for a thicker consistency.
- Freeze your serving bowl for at least 20 minutes to prevent the smoothie from melting too fast.
- Whatever type of milk you choose, make sure it’s unsweetened to avoid increasing the sugar level.
- You can use fresh or frozen spinach.
Green Smoothie Bowl is a nutritious powerhouse packed with greens, fruits, creamy coconut milk, and your choice of toppings.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup spinach fresh or frozen
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 avocado ripe
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup - add to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 ripe banana peeled, sliced and preferably frozen
- 1 cup pineapple chunks frozen
- coconut flakes
- chopped nuts
Add the Smoothie Bowl Base Ingredients to a high powered blender, and blend until smooth and combined.
Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
Divide the smoothie base between 2 bowls and add preferred toppings.
This is so tasty and fun to make, I will be making this all the time!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
This Green Smoothie Bowl is couldn’t look any more perfect!
So nutritious and delicious, just the power drink I needed!
Yummy! This looks so delicious! My daughter is definitely going to love this recipe!
This is so perfect!! Such a delicious day starter!
I’m loving the bright colors and flavors in this!
What a great way to start my day off right! This was perfect for breakfast this morning; my whole family loved it!