Crab Salad is a seafood-inspired salad loaded with chunks of imitation crab, light and creamy dressing, and celery for crunch! A splash of citrus brightens up all the flavors and makes it an irresistible side dish.
Looking for more seafood dishes? These crispy Salmon Patties are delicious side or snack! My Lemon Garlic Scallops are loaded with buttery garlic goodness, and this Shrimp Ceviche is such a light and fresh appetizer. Best of all, they all take 30 minutes of less to make!
Imitation Crab Salad Recipe
Crab Salad is one of my favorite quick lunch options. It takes almost no time to put together, and can be eaten as a sandwich, with crackers, or with your favorite greens. Even better than the one you can get at the deli!
Since we’re using imitation seafood instead of the real one which can get expensive, this recipe is a money-saver too. A great way to feed a crowd on a budget!
Of course, you can totally use the real thing in your version, but the imitation kind is so much easier and convenient. Don’t worry about the taste— I guarantee this dish tastes absolutely delicious!
Is Crab Salad healthy?
Definitely on the healthier side. Imitation seafood is low-calorie and contains almost no fat.
If you’re worried about additives, there are healthier versions on the market. Look for ingredients like oat fiber, pea starch, and natural sugars.
This recipe does have mayonnaise, but only a very small amount. You can swap out the regular kind with low-fat mayo, vegan mayo, or other healthy substitutes.
This recipe also has a full cup of celery (add more if you wish!). Aside from adding a nice crunch, celery is loaded with fiber and nutrients.
You can add more greens like kale, rocket spinach, lettuce, or finely-shredded cabbage if you wish. All of these make the dish a healthy addition to your diet.
What is imitation crab?
It’s a product made from surimi (deboned meat from mild-flavored fish like Pollock) which is processed fish flesh. The resulting blend is then molded into the shape of a crab leg. You can get it in different types such as sticks, chunky flakes, and already shredded.
This product is a popular ingredient in seafood-inspired dishes for several reasons. It’s much cheaper than the real thing. I also love how convenient and easy to use it is. Just unwrap it, prepare it, and it’s ready!
Can I eat imitation crab raw?
It’s already pre-cooked, so yest. You can unwrap it straight from the package for use in hot and cold recipes. A lot of people also love it as a snack!
How to make the best Crab Salad?
- Prepare the imitation seafood. Slice, flake, or shred the seafood depending on your preferred texture.
- Get the other ingredients ready. Measure out your seasonings, mayo, and lemon juice. Chop dill and red onions finely. Chop celery into your preferred size.
- Put the dish together. In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients until everything is lightly coated with the dressing and seasonings.
- Serve. Chill for a little while, then serve as is or top with more fresh dill and chopped green onions as garnish.
Crab salad variations:
- Turn it into a crab macaroni salad: add a cup of cooked and cooled macaroni noodles to the dish. Increase the dressing to taste.
- Make it Russian-style: add some horseradish sauce, hard-boiled eggs, drained canned peas, and drained corn
- Make it healthier: add more greens like spinach, kale, lettuce, carrots, and bell pepper. Add canned corn and chopped boiled eggs.
- Add heat: some chopped jalapenos give the dish a bit of zing
What to serve with crab salad?
How to store crab salad?
Use a tightly-sealed container to store the leftovers. This helps the dish to remain fresh and prevent it from going watery.
The salad will stay fresh in the fridge for up to three days.
More healthy recipes:
- Greek Salad with Homemade Dressing
- Cucumber Sandwiches
- Detox Beet Juice
- Shrimp and Broccoli Recipe
- Chickpea Salad
- Chop the herbs and onion finely so they are distributed evenly throughout the dish.
- Once you serve it, don’t let the dish sit out longer than a couple of hours for safety.
Crab Salad Recipe
Crab Salad is a seafood-inspired salad loaded with chunks of imitation crab, light and creamy dressing, and celery for crunch!
- 1 pound imitation crab meat cubed or flaked
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onions chopped
Prepare all the ingredients and add them to a large bowl, except the green onions, stir to combine.
Serve immediately, or cover and chill for up to 2 days.
Garnish with green onion when serving.