Baked Lemon Thyme Chicken Recipe
Lemon Thyme Chicken has a sweet and savory flavor and is made with a few simple ingredients. This healthy and easy dish is a great family dinner option for any day of the week, and ready in less than 30 minutes!
This is another simple chicken dish, seasoned with fresh lemon juice, garlic, and thyme. For more easy weekend dinner ideas, check out our Shrimp Fried Rice, Peach Pork Chops, or One Pan Garlic Scallops.
Easy Garlic Lemon Thyme Chicken
Baked Lemon Thyme Chicken is one of the easiest and very flavorful chicken dishes you can make. I am on a mission to show you many varieties of how you can prepare chicken thighs. I have proclaimed my love for chicken thighs on the blog many times.
They are cheap, easy to make and you can cook so many varieties. These thighs are baked in a sweet and savory sauce made with garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, and maple syrup! The sweet and savory combo is very tasty, the meat is soft and infused with a fresh lemon aroma.
Also, this is a healthy meal that can be enjoyed pretty much with anything. It is light, flavorful, and delicious!
How to make Lemon Thyme Chicken in the oven?
- Season the chicken. I love using thighs here because they are juicy, tender, and succulent. However, you can use other cuts as well, breasts are a great alternative.
- Prepare the garlic, lemon sauce. In a bowl, prepare the marinade. Simply, combine olive oil, maple syrup, dried thyme, minced garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir to combined. If you have time pour the mixture over the chicken and let it marinate for a few hours. If not, simply skip this step.
- Bake it. Pour the mixture over the poultry and bake for 25-30 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- Serve warm.
What to serve the lemon chicken with?
For fewer carbs, serve it with some steamed broccoli, brussels sprouts, or asparagus on the side. For a more traditional and comfort dinner, enjoy it with some freshly cooked white or brown rice, mashed potatoes, green beans, or salad.
How to store it?
The leftover is delicious and can be served in the days to come. Simply, transfer the dish to an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Also, you can freeze it in a freezer-safe dish for up to 3 months.
Looking for more ways to cook chicken thighs? Check out these recipes:
- Chipotle Orange Chicken Thighs
- Honey Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken – can be made with chicken thighs too
- One Pan Salsa Verde Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Lemon Thyme Chicken – can be made with chicken thighs too
Recipe Tips and Notes:
- I like making this dish with chicken thighs, but it works great with chicken breasts as well. Also, if you will be using chicken breasts, bake them for 15-18 minutes at 425 degrees F and if you want a brown, crispy top, turn on the broiler on high for the last 3-4 minutes of baking.
- For the best flavors and if you have time, it’s better to marinate the chicken for 1-6 hours. But you can also bake it right away if you are short one time.
- You can make the chicken as spicy as you want, based on your personal preference. Simply add some red pepper flakes or paprika.
- Don’t skip the lemon zest, it adds amazing flavor!
- Maple syrup can be replaced with honey.
- First, wash the lemon and zest it after that juice. If you squeeze the juice first, it’s very hard to get the zest after.
- Serve the chicken garnished with parsley with rice and veggies on the side.
Lemon Thyme Chicken made with just a few ingredients, with a sweet and savory flavor, ready in just 30 minutes in one pan!
- 3-4 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon halved
- Lemon zest
- Fresh thyme
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl combine olive oil, maple syrup, dried thyme, minced garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to combined.
If you have time, add the mixture over the chicken in a deep pan or large ziplock bag and marinate for 2-6 hours. If no, bake it right away in a pre-heated oven.
Lightly grease a deep baking dish or pan with olive oil, add chicken to the pan skin side up.
Pour the mixture over the chicken and bake for 25-30 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
From time to time, brush the chicken with the juices from the pan while baking or use a spoon, to scoop it over the chicken.
For a crispy, brown top, brush the chicken with the juices from the pan and turn the broiler on high for the final 5 minutes of roasting and broil the chicken until it is cooked through and extra browned on top. Watch it closely, so it doesn't burn.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the oven, brush the chicken with the juices from the pan and loosely cover the pan with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes.
Garnish with fresh lemon and thyme.
Serve and enjoy!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
I bet this smells amazing!! That crispy skin looks perfect too!
Sounds amazing! Adding this to my dinner list!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes)
I love the flavors in this recipe!
We eat loads of chicken in our house and I happily welcome a new flavor combination to switch up our routine. Love it!!
Oh this looks so tasty and super easy! I love this idea!
I do love a good chicken recipe! This looks so good!
Amy @ Little Dairy on the Prairie
I am loving these flavors! I have to try it out next chicken night!
So easy and super yummy! Thanks for sharing!
Loop Sunday Lunch – Baked Lemon Thyme Chicken | Trini Talks
[…] Sunday Lunch is courtesy 30 Minute Meals with a delicious yet quick Baked Lemon Thyme […]
This looks like such an amazing meal I cannot wait to give it a try!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
This Lemon Thyme Chicken looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
My whole family loved this dish! The chicken is so juicy and flavorful. I need to make it again soon!
This would make an incredible family dinner!
Such a perfect weeknight meal!! I loved it!
These flavors mesh so well together! Great recipe!
These look so tender and juicy and DELICIOUS!
This is such a great meal for dinner any night of the week!