One Pan Ham and Cheese Pasta Recipe is creamy, cheesy and delicious and is ready in less than 30 minutes. It is the perfect comfort dinner dish for busy weekdays Watch the short video tutorial below and see it for yourself!
Easy Ham and Cheese Pasta
When I have no spare time or want something quick and easy, I always go with Ham and Cheese Pasta. First, it is very affordable, and satisfying. It is a full meal that will feed your whole family. Second, it is ready in less than 30 minutes, and you can make a larger portion as well and freeze it for later.
The leftover is delicious, and can easily be stored. Also, I like the fact that this dish is easily modifiable. For example, you can use various types of cheeses or pasta.
Being a one-pot pasta dish it also means you have less work to do. This is the ultimate comfort food and a great way to use up leftover ham.
In addition, you can make it one-pot on the stove, or if you want something more traditional, make it in the oven as a casserole. It is equally easy and delicious, and a good way to use leftover ham!
How to make Ham and Cheese Pasta?
This easy dish is ready in no time and requires a few easy steps described below:
- In a large skillet or iron cast pan, add some olive oil. Let it heat for a minute over medium-high heat. Then, add in the cubed ham and saute for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Saute the garlic.
- Add pasta, water, cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 9-13 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, occasionally stirring.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove from heat and top it with some shredded parmesan cheese, and then stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
How to make Ham and Cheese Pasta Casserole?
Making an oven-baked casserole is equally simple and delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- While the oven is heating up, boil the pasta in a large pot for about 6-8 minutes. You can use any type of pasta, such as elbow macaroni, etc. Ensure that it is cooked al dente since it will still be cooking in the oven.
- Use a casserole baking dish and add the al dente macaroni, Cheddar cheese, ham, and mix together. Season with salt and pepper. Feel free to sprinkle bread crumbs over it.
- Lastly, bake the casserole for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and baked.
Can I make it with other meats?
Absolutely! You can make this dish with any type of cooked meat. Because it is a quick dinner, I recommend combining cooked chicken, pork, beef, or turkey. Also, feel free to use rotisserie chicken and just shred it. The cooking time will be the same.
However, if you want to use raw meat, I would recommend browning it first. Then, add it to the recipe following the same steps as in the recipe card below.
Can I make Ham and Cheese Pasta in advance?
Yes, this dish can easily be made ahead and simply stored in the fridge. Once cooked, let it fully cool. Then, transfer it to the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It actually tastes better the following days because the flavors soak together, making it even more delicious!
- Use your favorite type of pasta or cheese for this dish. You can combine any cheeses you like.
- Also, feel free to use other meats.
- Top it with some chopped green onions, parsley, and even some crumbled bacon!
- I sometimes add vegetables to it, such as green beans, mushroom or peas.
One Pan Ham and Cheese Pasta
One Pan Ham and Cheese Pasta Recipe is creamy, cheesy and delicious and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 4 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 2 cups cubed ham cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 quart chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound medium shell pasta
- 2 1/2 cups parmesan cheese freshly shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
Place a large pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the ham.
Once the ham is browned, add two more tablespoons of olive oil and minced garlic, stir and saute for about one minute.
Add chicken broth, heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and uncooked pasta, stir to combine.
Once the mixture starts to boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stir occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of shredded parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley and remaining cheese.