Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken is made with a sweet and sticky sauce in one pan and ready in just 30 minutes. A perfectly balanced weekday dinner!
This meal is always a hit in our family. Not only is it a super easy one-pad recipe to make, but also the flavors are second to none! Pair it with Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts, Green Beans with Bacon, or Pesto Pasta.
Easy Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken is so flavorful and very easy to make in one pan only. This is my go-to quick recipe during the busy weekdays. The lemon is so refreshing, and when mixed together with the sweet honey and garlic, it makes this one of the best chicken recipes out there. It is truly a restaurant-quality dish easily made at home!
The chicken is cooked in the skillet and is topped with the most delicious and amazing sauce! Also, the meat s super tender and juicy. You can use thighs or breasts, both are great options.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, this is a great weeknight meal. Tasty and healthy, it would also be great for date night or for when you have guests. Serve it with rice on the side for a complete meal. Leftover tastes great when sliced and added to a salad!
How to make Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken?
- Cook the chicken: Season the poultry with some salt and pepper. Then, add some olive oil, and brown the meat for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Prepare the sauce: While the chicken is cooking, quickly whisk together the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour the sauce: When the meat has browned, pour the sauce over it. Lower the heat, and cook for a few minutes to allow the garlic to cook and for the sauce to get absorbed.
- Serve: Enjoy it right away over some rice or pasta, or salad on the side.
This recipe is very versatile and can be made with other ingredients. Some of my favorite alternatives are:
- Baked Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken: For an even healthier option, feel free to bake it instead. Simply, bake the poultry in a casserole dish, and then add the sauce on top. Also, you can brown the meat on the skillet, or skip this step.
- Use other meats: Similarly, this recipe can be made with other meats. Swap the chicken with turkey, pork, or beef. The secret ingredient here is the lemon-based sauce. As long as you have it, feel free to use it over any type of meats!
- Orange Chicken: Also, feel free to swap the lemon with orange. It is super delicious as well!
- Add vegetables: You can add various vegetables to it. Some great addition would be broccoli, bell pepper, mushroom, etc.
How do you know when Chicken is done?
Please note, once you stop the cooking, the internal temperature will also rise as the meat rests. Therefore, it is best to remove it from cooking when it reaches about 160 degrees F.
How to store it?
Prior to refrigerating, let the dish completely cool. Then, transfer it to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Also, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Reheat prior to serving.
- You should use quality meat, preferably organic, in this case, I used organic chicken breasts.
- The recipe will work great also with chicken thighs or pork chops, or even fish.
- Also, you can make this recipe with 3-4 chicken breasts, just double the sauce ingredients.
- A cast-iron skillet or any NON-stick skillet will work great for this recipe.
- Definitely brown the chicken on both sides to golden perfection, it will take a few minutes, but it will make a huge difference in taste. Make sure you don’t overcook it.
- The lemon juice adds such a nice flavor to this recipe, make sure you use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- You can add red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
- Add more or less garlic, based on your preference.
Tools/Ingredients I use to make this One Pan Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- Cast Iron Skillet – get one and you will use it forever. I like that it heats evenly and consistently and that it comes pre-seasoned for the first use.
- Tongs – I like the locking functionality on these, they are the best on the market.
Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken is such a juicy meal made easy in one pan in 30 minutes. Perfectly sticky, aromatic and refreshing, this meal is always a hit.
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, once the oil is hot add chicken and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, until chicken is golden brown.
In a small bowl whisk together all the "Sauce" ingredients. Taste the sauce and if you want it to be sweeter, add 1 more tablespoon of brown sugar or more honey.
Reduce heat to medium and pour the sauce on top of the chicken. Cook for a few minutes and stir for the sauce to reduce to a glaze and thicken. Spoon some on top of the chicken while cooking.
Remove from heat and serve with rice or salad.