Mango Colada is a refreshing blend of creamy coconut, pineapple juice, and sweet mango chunks all blended with ice and rum. A showstopping tropical cocktail that takes MINUTES to prepare!
Mango Colada Smoothie
Mango Colada is the tastiest way to enjoy the tropics without leaving your home! One sip, and this drink will transport you to your own cabana by the sea. It’s delicious all year long, but extra perfect during the summer. Spice up your pool parties, or just cool down with this tasty cocktail in your hand!
It’s very flexible, too. Can’t find mango where you are? Use other fruits, or keep it classic with pineapple only! You can also turn it into a mocktail for the kids and adults who prefer non-alcoholic refreshments.
What is colada?
It’s basically a yummy boozy slushy! Traditional Pina coladas are made of coconut cream/coconut milk, tangy pineapple juice, and light rum. Then, you simply blend everything with ice then serve with maraschino cherries as garnish.
The birth place of this popular beverage is said to be Puerto Rico. Coincidentally, it’s also the home of Bacardi, one of our favorite light rums to use for this drink recipe!
Trivia: It’s the national drink of Puerto Rico!
Ingredients needed to make Mango Colada:
- Coconut: Cream of coconut is our first choice for a richer slush, but you can also use coconut milk.
- Pineapple Juice: Use your favorite juice brand! You can also use crushed pineapples.
- Rum: We use light rum so the alcohol doesn’t overpower the fresh tropical flavors in this cocktail. Use any brand you prefer.
- Mango: Use the sweetest you can find, and chop them up into chunks!
- Ice: About 2 cups is what we usually use, but you can use more or less depending on how thick you like it.
- Dark rum: Totally optional, if you like a stronger and more complex alcohol profile in your beverage.
How to make Mango Colada?
- Blend. Throw all the fruits, juice and cream into the blender and blend until smooth. Then, carefully add as much ice as you want. Blend until you have a slushie.
- Serve. Into a highball glass, pour the boozy slush before garnishing with fruit chunks.
- Optional: Float a splash of dark rum on top.
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Other fruits: Try this with kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, and other fruits!
- Other juices: Aside from pineapple, you can also use other citrus juices like lemon or orange.
- Other alcohol: You can make this with vodka, gin, or light tequila
- Heavy cream: You can also sub the coconut cream with regular heavy cream if you can’t find any.
- Sweeteners: If the drink is too tart for you, feel free to use honey or a little sugar syrup to sweeten things up.
- Mocktail: Simply skip the rum!
What is the best rum to use for colada?
Light rum is definitely the one you want to use, because the dark ones are more intense with a pronounced caramel note.
You can also try using fruit-infused white rums like Bacardi Pineapple.
More delicious drinks recipes:
Can you make it in advance?
Sure! Mix up the fruits, booze, and juice first, then store it in the fridge. Simply blend right before serving.
We don’t recommend making the actual slushie in advance, because the ice will melt.
- We love our coladas thick, so we use lots of ice. But you can certainly reduce the amount in yours if you want a looser slush.
- Try freezing your mango chunks for an icier drink!
- You can also combine pineapple and mango chunks to make it fruitier.
- Feel free to skip the dark rum floater on top for a milder alcohol taste.
- We also enjoy mixing in coconut rums like Malibu. A great option if you can’t find coconut cream or milk in your area! Simply use coconut rum and plain heavy cream.
- Like we mentioned above, try using fruit-infused light rums for more flavor.
- Decorate the glass rim with slices of fresh fruit for beautiful presentation.
Mango Colada Recipe
MangoColada is a refreshing blend of creamy coconut, pineapple juice, andsweet mango chunks all blended with ice and rum.
- 4 oz cream of coconut
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 6 oz light rum or more pineapple juice
- 1 cup mango diced
- 2 cups ice add more depending on how thick you like it
Place all ingredients except ice in a blender and blend until smooth. Add ice slowly and continue blending until combined.
Pour into 2 tall glasses, garnish with a piece of pineapple, and serve.