Mango Salsa Recipe
Mango Salsa is loaded with the juiciest mango chunks and other fresh ingredients for an irresistibly sweet, spicy, and colorful salsa. A beautiful side dish, yummy dip, or appetizer!
30 minutes are all it takes to enjoy a Mexican-themed meal! Serve this Salsa with Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad, Cheesy Chicken Fajita Quesadilla, and Taco Tortilla Roll-Ups.
Mexican Mango Salsa Recipe
Mango Salsa stars all the bright and tropical flavors of summer. It features the juiciest sweet mangoes, mixed with diced veggies, cilantro, and a splash of lime. The red onions cut through the sweetness, while the jalapenos add delicious heat. It also has red bell peppers for color and crunch. This condiment is gorgeous and takes minutes to make!
Finally, I love how versatile this dish is. I use it to perk up meal bowls, as a condiment, a refreshing side dish, and appetizer. It’s always the first to go, so be sure to make a double batch!
What is salsa?
It’s a condiment with a very long history that goes as far back as the Aztec times. The word literally means “sauce.” In the US, most people are familiar with the tomato version, which is usually served with Mexican food.
However, this condiment can also be made with other ingredients like fruits, corn, and plantains. It can be served fresh or cooked, hot or mild, with a thin or thick consistency, and smooth or chunky. In short, there’s an endless variety out there!
But before you sample other varieties, you absolutely have to try this mango version first. If you’ve never tried fruit salsa before, this recipe is going to turn you into a fan!
Mango Salsa Ingredients:
This recipe only calls for a few ingredients, but don’t skimp on any of them. Get the freshest, best-quality ones you can find. Those flavors really shine in this dish! You will need:
- Mango: The ideal one is round and plump. It will be a little soft when fully ripe, but not mushy at all.
- Red onion: That delicious, pungent bite perks up the dish.
- Bell pepper: I use red for both color and extra sweetness.
- Cilantro: This citrusy herb is a must for any salsa.
- Jalapeno: Remove all seeds, or if you like it extra hot, leave them in.
- Lime: The sour and slightly bitter juice brightens up the flavors.
- Salt: A little pinch is enough, but feel free to adjust to taste.
How to make Mango Salsa?
- Prep. Dice the veggies, herb, and fruit finely.
- Assemble. Combine, making sure everything is evenly distributed. Sprinkle with salt and a big splash of lime juice. Give it a good toss.
- Serve. Enjoy immediately, or chill first before serving.
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Use other fruits: Sub with sweet peaches, fresh pineapples, avocados, diced cucumbers, and other fruits. Or you can add them along with the mango!
- Use other herbs: If you don’t like the taste of cilantro, fresh parsley or even basil is a tasty alternative.
- Turn it into a spread: Mix it up with some softened cream cheese for a yummy spread on burgers, sandwiches, and more!
- Make it mild: Skip the jalapenos, or sub with red pepper flakes to decrease the heat.
Is Mango Salsa healthy?
Very! It’s low in calories, has zero fat, and full of vitamins and nutrients. It packs a good punch of Vitamins A and C. You can also eat a lot of it without feeling bloated, and adds a healthy flavor boost to your meals.
What to serve with Mango Salsa?
It’s terrific as dip for crackers, tacos, and crispy tortilla chips. On top of that, it’s the perfect accompaniment for seafood like this Pan-Roasted Swordfish, salmon, or grilled shrimp. Also delicious as a side to meat entrees! It’s particularly good with these Peach Pork Chops and Honey Balsamic Chicken.
How long does Mango Salsa last?
Stored in an air-tight container and chilled in the fridge, it stays good for 5 days. Refresh by stirring with a little salt and lemon juice. I do not recommend freezing it because the fruit will become watery once thawed.
More Easy Appetizers:
- Salmon Patties
- Bacon Wrapped Smokies – Only 6 Ingredients!
- Shrimp Ceviche
- Cheddar Ranch Cheese Ball
- Taco Dip – 5 Minutes Only!
- For the best flavor, let the dish stand for around 10 minutes or longer after making it.
- Slice everything into equal sizes so that you get a bit of each ingredient in every bite.
MangoSalsa is loaded with the juiciest mango chunks and other freshingredients for an irresistibly sweet, spicy, and colorful salsa. Abeautiful side dish, yummy dip, or appetizer!
- 1 1/2 lbs cherry tomatoes or Roma tomatoes - ripe
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 mango peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 red chili pepper seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add all the ingredients to a food processor, except the mago, and pulse in 1-second bursts until finely chopped, but still a bit chunky.
Add to a bowl, and add the diced mango, taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Garnish with chopped parsley and lime wedges.
Store in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Serve with corn chips.
Made this with dinner last night and it was a hit all around the table! So unique and unexpected!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
I know for sure this Mango Salsa is would be a huge hit in my house!
This is so good!! A huge hit at my house!
This salsa is a great appetizer for Thanksgiving!
This is such a flavorful salsa!!
katerina @ diethood.com
Such a delicious salsa!! Everyone loved it!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes
I love the flavors in this salsa!! I can’t wait to try it!