Buttery Chicken with Asparagus boasts the juiciest chunks of meat, crisp-tender asparagus, all bathed in a luscious lemon garlic butter sauce. It’s incredibly flavorful and only takes 30 minutes in one skillet!
Got 30 minutes to spare before dinner? Then you have enough time for a tasty and healthy meal! Impress your family with this delicious Shrimp and Broccoli, Air Fryer Drumsticks, and One-Pan Honey Citrus Salmon!
30 Minutes Chicken and Asparagus Skillet
Creamy Chicken with Asparagus gets devoured in my home every time I make it. Even the kids can’t get enough of it! The main reason is that gorgeous butter sauce that’s garlicky, lemony, and bursting with herbs and spices. It even has a little kick from the Sriracha and pepper flakes, just enough to keep you reaching for the next bite!
It tastes fantastic, but it’s healthy too. We use protein-loaded white meat, and blanch the veggies so it retains as much of its nutrients as possible. Who said being busy meant settling for take-out? You’re 30 minutes and one skillet away from this Creamy Chicken with Asparagus tonight!
Chicken with Asparagus Ingredients:
- Breast meat: Remove the skin, and cut the boneless meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Asparagus: Trim and rinse very well.
- Butter: Get about half a cup of softened butter ready.
- Olive Oil: For sauteing and adding more silkiness to the sauce.
- Garlic: Minced the fresh cloves very finely.
- Seasonings: Dried Italian seasoning, minced parsley, pepper flakes (optional) Sriracha.
- Lemon: Fresh squeezed is best!
- Broth: For a healthier sauce, use low-sodium stock.
- Seasonings for the meat: Fresh ground pepper and salt, powdered onion and garlic powder, paprika.
- Garnish Thin slices of fresh lemon.
How to make creamy chicken with asparagus?
- Season the chunks of the breast. Once you’ve sliced them into bite-sized pieces, toss in the seasoning mix. Let it marinate while you get the veggies ready.
- Blanch the veggies. Trim the ends off, then blanch for a couple of minutes in boiling water. Transfer immediately to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. This allows the vegetable to cook faster while still retaining that delicious crispiness. Drain.
- Cook. Stir fry the meat in hot butter and oil until golden. Add Italian seasoning and about a teaspoon of minced garlic, then stir. Remove the meat and set aside.
Add the rest of the garlic, and pour the stock to deglaze the skillet. Make sure to scrape off all the brown bits off the bottom because those bring HUGE FLAVOR. Simmer until it’s reduced in half. Add the juice, the rest of the butter, Sriracha, and parsley. Stir. Add the asparagus, followed by the chicken, and coat with the butter sauce.
- Serve. Plate it up with a sprinkle of pepper flakes, parsley, and a couple of lemon slices. Enjoy hot!
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Use other meat: Try this with shrimp or thin strips of pork. Thighs will make a juicy alternative too!
- Use other herbs: Stir in some basil for a stronger herb flavor.
- Make it vegetarian: Swap the butter with a vegan version, and use veggie stock. You can use tofu in place of the meat or simply double the asparagus.
- Add other veggies: That yummy butter sauce is wonderful with other veggies! Add some florets of broccoli, thinly-sliced carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, cauliflower, and mushrooms.
How to trim asparagus?
It’s very easy! To trim asparagus, you only need to remove the thick woody ends. You can break it off by hand— just snap it off near the end. You can also line them all up and give them a quick chop. Done and ready for your recipe!
What to serve with chicken and asparagus?
How to store leftovers?
Make sure it’s completely cool before placing it into a well-sealed container. If you’re storing it in the refrigerator, consume it within a day or two for the best taste and texture.
You can also freeze it for later by transferring it into a freezer-friendly container, and keeping it for about a month. To reheat, thaw and microwave until hot.
More homemade chicken recipes:
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Baked Lemon Thyme Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Firecracker Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Got skinny asparagus? You can skip the blanching part!
- Brown the meat in batches to make sure they get crisp and brown, not steamed.
Buttery Chicken with Asparagus boasts the juiciest chunks of meat, crisp-tender asparagus, all bathed in a luscious lemon garlic butter sauce.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 bunches asparagus rinsed and ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce optional
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
Season chicken chunks with salt, pepper, and onion powder, set aside.
Blanched the prepared asparagus into a bowl with boiling water for 2 minutes, after that in ice water. Drain and set aside.
Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add half of the butter and oil. Once the butter is melted and foamy, add the chicken bites and cook until golden brown.
Lower the temperature to low and add minced garlic and Italian seasoning, stir and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove the chicken bites from the skillet and set aside on a plate. if your pan is not large enough, work in batches.
Deglaze the pan with chicken broth over medium-high heat. Bring it to a simmer and allow to reduce to half the volume. Add remaining butter, lemon juice, hot sauce, parsley, and the blanched asparagus, cook and toss for 2 minutes.
Add back the chicken bites and stir for another minute to reheat.
Garnish with parsley and lemon slices and serve.