Eggs in a Basket are eggs cooked in a piece of toast, a delicious and fun way to serve breakfast. Season with paprika and garlic for the ultimate savory taste. Such an easy recipe that will brighten your mornings.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, therefore we try to make it quick, easy, filling and fun! You should try our Chocolate Cherry Smoothie, Oatmeal Pancakes, and the No Bake Granola Bars. These are all quick and easy recipes that you can make during the week or even in advance.
Eggs in a Hole Recipe
Eggs in a basket are such a classic and timeless recipe, that actually not everyone knows about. I grew up making them with my mom and they were our special weekend breakfast, along with fresh squeezed orange juice and some bacon on the side.
This recipe is incredibly easy, and its a fun way to serve eggs, whenever you get bored of fried or scrambled eggs, just make this recipe for a change. I also like that its less messy and that you can pile it up with toppings, which just makes it more delicious!
What do you need:
- Butter – Use some unsalted butter to cook the bread and the eggs, its tastier than using oil.
- Toast bread – any toast bread works, use white, whole wheat or whole grain.
- Eggs – we always have some on hand, opt for organic, free-range labeled, those are extra delicious.
- Seasoning – keep it simple with some salt and pepper, or add some garlic powder and smoked paprika for extra flavor.
How do you make Eggs in a Basket from scratch:
- Cut the bread: First, you start by making the wholes in the bread using a sharp cookie cutter.
- Fry the bread: Next, add some butter to a non-stick skillet over medium heat and once melted cook the bread. After that flip the bread slices.
- Add the eggs: Egg the eggs into the wells and season as you wish.
- Serve: Cook to the desired doneness and serve.
- Bread: Use different typer of bread, white, whole wheat, whole grain. Also, if you like sweet and savory combos,, try using cinnamon roll bread or blueberry bread.
- Beat the eggs: Instead of using whole eggs, beat them with some seasoning and add the mixture to the toasts.
- Add chopped herbs: Add some color by chopping a few spinach leaves, fresh parsley, green onions or dill.
- Bacon: Add crispy bacon bits on top of the eggs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where did Eggs in a Basket Originate?
The meal dates back to 19th century and here is a very interesting and detailed read about the provenience of the recipe, also called “eggs in a hole”.
How to serve:
This breakfast staple is definitely simple and delicious on its own, but we suggest pairing it with some freshly squeezed orange juice and some crispy bacon or sausages on the side. To keep them vegetarian, and to increase more the protein intake, add some refried beans on the side.
Serving this recipe with a selection of fruit is always a good idea.
Another way to enjoy these is by adding different toppings:
- Avocado – Either top the toast with avocado slices or guacamole, grate some parmesan on top and have some salsa on the side.
- Beans – add a dollop of refried beans and some sour cream for a savory and hearty variation.
- Spinach – Saute some spinach and pile it on top, to add more greens to your meal.
- Cheese: Add your favorite cheese on top and broil for 1 minute, this will taste like a loaded grilled cheese!
- Italian toppings: Go for a combo of either mozzarella or burrata and some sun-dried tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic.
- Sauces: Serve the eggs in a basket with some hollandaise sauce on top! Check more ideas for sauces here.
- Asian toppings: Add some teriyaki chicken or pork, green onions and sesame seeds, for a very filling and tasty breakfast.
- Hash browns: No breakfast is complete without some hash browns, so either serve them as a topping or on the side.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Mimosa – goes well with any recipe!
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks – when you are looking to have dessert for breakfast.
- Homemade Crepes – there are endless options how to serve them!
- Use butter instead of oil, it will make the toast more buttery, therefore more delicious.
- Cook the eggs to your preferred doneness and make sure to use seasoning on the eggs and also on the toast.
Eggs in a Basket are eggs cooked in a piece of toast, a delicious and fun way to serve breakfast. Season with paprika and garlic for the ultimate savory taste.
- 2 slices of toast bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Using a sharp round, cookie cutter cut out the center of the bread slices. Do not discard the center.
Place a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt it.
Place the bread including the cutout into the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden.
Flip the bread slice and the cutout and at this time, add the eggs into the holes.
Sprinkle some garlic powder and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper.
Lover heat to medium, cover and cook for a minute or to the desired egg doneness.